Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconducting Magnet Design

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to learn the basics of designing superconducting magnets for guiding particles, but I'm having a hard time knowing where to start. I don't have a background in this field (besides EM classes). Right now I'm thinking about ordering "Superconducting Magnets" by Wilson and studying material from a free MIT course, but I'm hoping that someone in the field can recommend more resources/papers. I know it's a broad question but I would like to learn the basic theory and design. I have a background in physics and math and can handle material at or around the graduate student level. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    I believe it's actually possible to buy YBCO (Tc ~= 90K) and then buy liquid nitrogen or buidl your own liquid nitrogen generator for ~$500

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    I helped build the Tevatron collider at Fermilab, but I never heard of Martin Wilson. Where did he come from?

If you want a comprehensive article on the design of the main bending magnets in the CERN LHC (Large Hadron Collider) Design Report, read

https://edms.cern.ch/file/445839/5/Vol_1_Chapter_7.pdf

There are large variations in the design of superconducting magnets for accelerators; For example, the Tevatron used warm iron, the LHC uses cold iron. Tevatron used liquid helium cooling, the LHC uses superfluid helium, etc.

If you want a good review of particle accelerator applications of magnets generally, read chaps 6,7,8 of Humphries' book

http://www.fieldp.com/cpa.html (free download)

If I come across a good book, I will post a link to it.

[added] Look at "Superconducting Accelerator Magnets" by K-H Mess, Schmuser, and Wolff.

[added] Martin Wilson is from Rutherford, so he is OK

[added] Be sure to read about the lower and upper critical (magnetic) fields, and type I and II superconductors. Some superconductors will quench (go normal) at very low magnetic fields. A good superconducting cable for accelerator magnet (like the LHC) should be able to withstand 7 or 8 Tesla, minimum.

Bob S

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Thank you Bob S, these suggestions are very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook