Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconducting Magnet Design

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to learn the basics of designing superconducting magnets for guiding particles, but I'm having a hard time knowing where to start. I don't have a background in this field (besides EM classes). Right now I'm thinking about ordering "Superconducting Magnets" by Wilson and studying material from a free MIT course, but I'm hoping that someone in the field can recommend more resources/papers. I know it's a broad question but I would like to learn the basic theory and design. I have a background in physics and math and can handle material at or around the graduate student level. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    I believe it's actually possible to buy YBCO (Tc ~= 90K) and then buy liquid nitrogen or buidl your own liquid nitrogen generator for ~$500
  4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    I helped build the Tevatron collider at Fermilab, but I never heard of Martin Wilson. Where did he come from?

If you want a comprehensive article on the design of the main bending magnets in the CERN LHC (Large Hadron Collider) Design Report, read

There are large variations in the design of superconducting magnets for accelerators; For example, the Tevatron used warm iron, the LHC uses cold iron. Tevatron used liquid helium cooling, the LHC uses superfluid helium, etc.

If you want a good review of particle accelerator applications of magnets generally, read chaps 6,7,8 of Humphries' book

http://www.fieldp.com/cpa.html (free download)

If I come across a good book, I will post a link to it.

[added] Look at "Superconducting Accelerator Magnets" by K-H Mess, Schmuser, and Wolff.

[added] Martin Wilson is from Rutherford, so he is OK

[added] Be sure to read about the lower and upper critical (magnetic) fields, and type I and II superconductors. Some superconductors will quench (go normal) at very low magnetic fields. A good superconducting cable for accelerator magnet (like the LHC) should be able to withstand 7 or 8 Tesla, minimum.

Bob S
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Thank you Bob S, these suggestions are very helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook