How Does Superconductivity Allow for 0 Resistance?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of superconductivity, where certain materials offer zero resistance to the flow of current at low temperatures. This is achieved through a cooperative interaction between specially paired electrons and lattice distortions, which effectively eliminate collisions. This phenomenon is explained by quantum mechanics and cannot be fully understood using classical models. It involves the concept of "Cooper pairs" and a condensate with long range order.
Zubeen
Superconductivity... awkward

Superconductivity says that below certain temperature, certain materials offer 0 resistance to the current flowing through them...
But how is this possible ? resistance offered is because of loss of kinetic energy of electrons due to collision with atoms' nuclei, which will always happen however low temperature is attained ... will you please explain ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Superconductivity involves a cooperative interaction between specially paired electrons ("Cooper pairs") and distortions in the crystal lattice (phonons). These conspire to effectively eliminate collisions. The effect is quantum mechanical, and cannot really be pictured in terms of classical models.

I have very little knowledge of Quantum physics, but I have read that it says about probability wave of particles.
What I understood through your post is that some how electrons flow through the vacancies present in the crystal of the material, and hence they avoiding collisions. Have i got it right ??

Zubeen said:
I have very little knowledge of Quantum physics, but I have read that it says about probability wave of particles.
What I understood through your post is that some how electrons flow through the vacancies present in the crystal of the material, and hence they avoiding collisions. Have i got it right ??

You need to look up what you have been told, i.e. "Cooper Pairs" and why that results in a from of a condensate having something called "long range order". It requires knowledge beyond just the usual "electron flow".

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/bcs.html#c1

Zz.

What is superconductivity and how does it work?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials can conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures. This is due to the formation of electron pairs that move through the material without any loss of energy.

What are the potential applications of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has many potential applications, such as in power transmission, medical imaging, and quantum computing. It can also be used to create powerful electromagnets for use in MRI machines and particle accelerators.

What are the challenges in achieving superconductivity at higher temperatures?

The main challenge in achieving superconductivity at higher temperatures is finding materials that can sustain the electron pairing phenomenon at higher temperatures. This requires a thorough understanding of the complex interactions between electrons and the crystal structure of the material.

Why is superconductivity important for sustainable energy production?

Superconductivity has the potential to greatly increase the efficiency of energy production and transmission. With zero resistance, there is no energy loss during transmission, making it a more sustainable and cost-effective option for energy production.

What are the current limitations of superconductivity and how are researchers working to overcome them?

One of the major limitations of superconductivity is the requirement for extremely low temperatures. Researchers are exploring different materials and methods to achieve superconductivity at higher temperatures. They are also investigating ways to create materials that can sustain the phenomenon at room temperature, which would have a significant impact on its applications.