Superconductivity Explained

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This is a historical look back at the landmark 1957 BCS Theory of Superconductivity paper. Don't miss it.

http://focus.aps.org/story/v18/st8

Zz.

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don't ever do that again! You nearly gave me a heart attack with that title. :grumpy: Phew!

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gokul43201 said:
Don't ever do that again! You nearly gave me a heart attack with that title. :grumpy: Phew!
Hahahahaha!

Zz.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Oh yeah, I read that. It's amazing how they think statistics like that have any meaning. It's the same thing a few years ago when someone looked at the statistics of the number of publications in Phys. Rev. B and extrapolate that it will grow faster than the speed of light in 10 years.

Zz.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Eeeeww.. there are better ways at describing superconductivity. This one isn't it.

Zz.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I know all about superconductors.org. I didn't just fall off the back of a truck. But just because they are a "bona fide" group, doesn't mean they do everything well. It also doesn't help that you pick and choose things that poorly illustrate things and go around advertizing them.

Zz.

I was rather struck by the dance floor analogy, Zapper. There was also one in the article you posted:

He later compared the concept to the Frug, a popular dance at the time, where dance partners could be far apart on the dance floor, separated by many other dancers, yet remain a pair.

It made me think of a barn dance as a regimented, formal, cold temperature situation. Whereas a disco is a high temperature situation. I went to a wedding in France where they had a disco. They all seemed keen on rock, effortlessly swinging around. Maybe there's an insight in there somewhere.

Last edited:
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author