Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductivity Explained

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a historical look back at the landmark 1957 BCS Theory of Superconductivity paper. Don't miss it.

http://focus.aps.org/story/v18/st8

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't ever do that again! You nearly gave me a heart attack with that title. :grumpy: Phew!

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hahahahaha!

Zz.

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Sep 17, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh yeah, I read that. It's amazing how they think statistics like that have any meaning. It's the same thing a few years ago when someone looked at the statistics of the number of publications in Phys. Rev. B and extrapolate that it will grow faster than the speed of light in 10 years.

Zz.

7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
  8. Sep 27, 2006 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Eeeeww.. there are better ways at describing superconductivity. This one isn't it.

Zz.

9. Sep 27, 2006 #8
  10. Sep 27, 2006 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I know all about superconductors.org. I didn't just fall off the back of a truck. But just because they are a "bona fide" group, doesn't mean they do everything well. It also doesn't help that you pick and choose things that poorly illustrate things and go around advertizing them.

Zz.

11. Sep 27, 2006 #10
    I was rather struck by the dance floor analogy, Zapper. There was also one in the article you posted:

He later compared the concept to the Frug, a popular dance at the time, where dance partners could be far apart on the dance floor, separated by many other dancers, yet remain a pair.

It made me think of a barn dance as a regimented, formal, cold temperature situation. Whereas a disco is a high temperature situation. I went to a wedding in France where they had a disco. They all seemed keen on rock, effortlessly swinging around. Maybe there's an insight in there somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  12. Oct 11, 2006 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?