Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superdokey puzzle

1. Dec 23, 2006 #1

This looks a lot like a very popular pastime puzzle with millions of addicts but it is not, it's a superdokey with one more rule. For the lay persons, the rules of the original game are:

1: In each row(yellow), each digit (1-9) shows up only once
    2: In each column (green), each digit (1-9) shows up only once
    3: In each 3x3 sub-grid(red), each digit (1-9) shows up only once

The additional rule to make it a superdokey is:

4: In each identical position in each subgrid(blue), each digit (1-9) shows up only once

All my 500 (and growing) superdokeys have only one single solution. There is always at least one clue and guessing is not required. Puzzling is, a lot.

Happy solving and season greatings
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Hey, thanks, I love Sudokus! Looks tempting. :cool:
  4. Dec 23, 2006 #3
    You're welcome. I like a little feedback. Easy? Too difficult? Want hints?
  5. Dec 23, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

I saved the link, haven't found the time to start yet though.
  6. Dec 25, 2006 #5
    It a tough one, isn't it.

Here is a hint for the only possible first move.

Notice that the digit in the bright green colored box is unique compared to all other colored boxes. Notice also that the orange/amber nine makes the difference with the original game, in which there would have been not enough information to find any move.

It could have been found by eliminating as many as possible positions for that digit in that 3x3 subgrid, including the use of rule nr 4, like this indicated in dark blue. For the two remaining positions (light blue), only one can fit that digit by elimination of the others.

Anyway, perhaps start off with this one, the nr-1 in the book with nine possible first moves.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?