Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superfluid : A gallon, please

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    What is the biggest quantity of superfluid that has ever been made so far? Is it in the "macroscopic" range? Will the superfluidity be destroyed by photographing the stuff? Can one get a snapshot of it creeping up the bucket's wall, etc?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2004 #2
    A superfluid is a simple fuild and it's state is not destroyed by simple photography. I do not know the "biggest quantity" of superfluid made. So when you photograph a superfluid the perturbing energy wiil get transferred to
    the system that is maintaining its state.

4. Nov 18, 2004 #3
    Well, one of the most common examples of superfluid is liquid Helium-4 cooled to below 2.17K. I don't know exactly what the "biggest quantity" is, but if you've ever seen dewar flasks of liquid nitrogen you can probably guess that it's a fair amount, and certainly macroscopic. No, photography doesn't destroy superfluidity, and can you see some photos (though not terribly clear ones I'm afraid) here.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?