Is a Superfluid Perpetual Motion Machine Theoretically Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of utilizing superfluids for perpetual motion and extracting useful work from it. However, due to the rule against discussing such machines, the idea is not further explored.
rollete
Yes, I'm aware of the countless threads about perpetual motion here. Not sure if this idea has been considered with superfluids, though.

I'm no physics expert (basically a laymen), but the idea of a superfluid in perpetual motion intrigues me because I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible (at least in a vacuum).

If anyone can confirm that such a machine is theoretically possible, my main question is this: could we extract useful work from it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rollete said:
my main question is this: could we extract useful work from it?
Of course not.

Please review our rules (See: Physics Forums Global Guidelines). Discussions of "perpetual motion" machines are not allowed.

Last edited:

1. What is superfluid perpetual motion?

Superfluid perpetual motion is a theoretical concept in which a fluid can flow continuously without the need for an external force. This means that the fluid would be able to maintain its motion indefinitely, without losing any energy.

2. How does superfluid perpetual motion work?

In superfluid perpetual motion, the fluid is able to flow without any friction or resistance, due to the absence of viscosity in the fluid. This allows the fluid to move constantly without the need for an external force.

3. Is superfluid perpetual motion possible in real life?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that superfluid perpetual motion is possible in real life. While some fluids, such as liquid helium, exhibit superfluid properties, they still experience some level of viscosity and cannot maintain motion indefinitely.

4. What are the potential applications of superfluid perpetual motion?

If superfluid perpetual motion were possible, it could have a range of potential applications, such as creating more efficient energy sources or improving the performance of industrial pumps and turbines. However, these applications are currently only theoretical.

5. What are the implications of superfluid perpetual motion for the laws of thermodynamics?

If superfluid perpetual motion were possible, it would challenge the second law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. This is because perpetual motion would suggest that energy could be continuously generated without any external input, which goes against this law.