Exploring Superfluidity: Where to Find Film Clips of this Strange Phenomenon

• Thread starter Gerinski
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a video clip of the superfluidity phenomenon and the strangeness of this behavior at low temperatures. The participants share websites where they have found videos of the phenomenon and express their gratitude for the information. Finally, a link is provided to a website with a video clip demonstrating the properties of superfluids.
Gerinski
Anyone knows of any website where I could find a film clip of the superfluidity phenomenon?
Just curious to see such a weird behaviour with my own eyes

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt its been filmed

what is superfluidity?

I doubt its been filmed

Why would you say that? I would think it would be rather easy to film. I also have wanted to see what it looks like instead of hearing it second-hand from physics professors who go on and on about how weird it looks.

TX LURCH, good site !

Unfortunately I did not find here any video of the most famous (and probably most spectacular) superfluidity behaviour, the one I'm actually looking for: the superfluid climbing up the container wall and flowing over the top ...

WISER said:
thnks for the info..
this has bin filmed,,

If so, do you know of any internet site where a videoclip can be found ?
TX

In french:
http://www.ujf-grenoble.fr/PHY/FOREXPER/TPhelium/pages/Presentation%20film.html

It starts with a series of other cryogenic experiments (superconducting Meissner effect, paramagnetism of oxygen), but then it goes on to liquid and superliquid helium. It shows how the liquid stops bubbling and it shows the liquid flowing out of the container. Very nice.

(First hit on http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=vid&q=helium.)

Last edited by a moderator:
TX Pieter ! :-)

1. What is superfluidity?

Superfluidity is a unique state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, near absolute zero. In this state, a liquid flows with zero viscosity, meaning it has no resistance to flow. It also exhibits other strange properties, such as the ability to flow up and out of containers and form quantized vortices.

2. How is superfluidity different from regular fluids?

Unlike regular fluids, superfluids have zero viscosity and can flow without any resistance. They also have a higher heat capacity, meaning they can absorb and release more heat without changing temperature. Additionally, they have a critical velocity above which they cannot flow, known as the Landau critical velocity.

3. Where can I find film clips of superfluidity?

Film clips of superfluidity can be found in various places, such as scientific research articles, educational videos, and online databases. Some universities and research institutions also have their own libraries of superfluidity film clips for educational and research purposes.

4. What are some real-world applications of superfluidity?

Superfluidity has many potential applications, such as in cryogenics, where it can be used to cool and preserve materials. It also has potential uses in precision measurement devices, such as gyroscopes and accelerometers, due to its ability to maintain a constant rotation and flow without any resistance.

5. How is superfluidity studied and explored?

Superfluidity is studied using various techniques, such as cryogenic experiments, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanical models. Scientists also use computer simulations and mathematical models to explore the behavior and properties of superfluids. The study of superfluidity is an ongoing and active area of research in the field of condensed matter physics.