Where Can I Find Beginner-Friendly Resources on Supergravity?

In summary, I'm looking for a book or lecture that will teach me about standard conventions in use at present.
arroy_0205
Can you suggest any lecture notes/review articles/free books available in the internet at introductory level and which uses standard conventions in use at present? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
It's not free, but if you like his style, Weinberg's 3rd volume is pretty good.

Thanks for your responses. I have come across some review articles but I am not sure exactly which one would be best to learn from. Since I will have to learn myself, first I want to be sure about a particular source. In past I have at times felt this difficulty: I grabbed whatever source I found to learn some specific topic and after sometime realized that I should switch the source due to difficulty in following the material at later stages. So effectively I wasted time. The reason I asked this question here was to learn from your experiences: get a specific suggestion about a material which one would be possibly able to use alone. Thanks for your attention, anyway.

I really liked Samtleben's introduction. He also wrote a nice introduction about gauged sugra. Samtleben's intro is the most basic but also one of the clearest I could find when I tried to get a grasp on sugra.

Van Proeyen's notes are also quite nice, but his conventions are in my opinion sometimes quite awful. That's a matter of taste ofcourse.

So I suggest Samtleben ;)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TVP-46TYPH8-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=08806620ef90de6996cf056d16fa0432

Hopefully that link worked out. I was given that to learn from, and although I'm no expert in the field, I've certainly found it reasonably intelligible. I understand that it's a bit outdated, but nonetheless, it's still good for learning the basics.

It'd be nice to find a newer review that discusses what went wrong in this paper so I can understand the current state of affairs.

1. What is supergravity?

Supergravity is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of Einstein's theory of general relativity and supersymmetry. It is used to describe the behavior of gravity at a quantum level, aiming to unify it with the other fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does supergravity differ from general relativity?

While general relativity only describes the force of gravity, supergravity also incorporates the concept of supersymmetry, which proposes that every particle in the universe has a partner with different spin properties. This allows for a more complete understanding of the interactions between particles and the effects of gravity.

3. What are the main applications of supergravity?

Supergravity has been used in various areas of theoretical physics, including string theory, cosmology, and particle physics. It also has potential applications in understanding the behavior of black holes and the early universe.

4. Is supergravity experimentally proven?

While there is currently no direct experimental evidence for supergravity, its predictions have been consistent with other theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics. However, more research and experimentation are needed to fully confirm its validity.

5. How does supergravity contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Supergravity is a crucial component in the search for a unified theory of everything, which aims to explain all of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It also helps to bridge the gap between the macroscopic world described by general relativity and the microscopic world described by quantum mechanics.