Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supergravity for beginners.

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    Can you suggest any lecture notes/review articles/free books available in the internet at introductory level and which uses standard conventions in use at present? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    It's not free, but if you like his style, Weinberg's 3rd volume is pretty good.

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    Thanks for your responses. I have come across some review articles but I am not sure exactly which one would be best to learn from. Since I will have to learn myself, first I want to be sure about a particular source. In past I have at times felt this difficulty: I grabbed whatever source I found to learn some specific topic and after sometime realized that I should switch the source due to difficulty in following the material at later stages. So effectively I wasted time. The reason I asked this question here was to learn from your experiences: get a specific suggestion about a material which one would be possibly able to use alone. Thanks for your attention, anyway.

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

I really liked Samtleben's introduction. He also wrote a nice introduction about gauged sugra. Samtleben's intro is the most basic but also one of the clearest I could find when I tried to get a grasp on sugra.

Van Proeyen's notes are also quite nice, but his conventions are in my opinion sometimes quite awful. That's a matter of taste ofcourse.

So I suggest Samtleben ;)

7. Dec 31, 2009 #6
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=08806620ef90de6996cf056d16fa0432

Hopefully that link worked out. I was given that to learn from, and although I'm no expert in the field, I've certainly found it reasonably intelligible. I understand that it's a bit outdated, but nonetheless, it's still good for learning the basics.

It'd be nice to find a newer review that discusses what went wrong in this paper so I can understand the current state of affairs.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook