Understanding HVAC Superheat: Common Issues with Calculating Target Levels

• Thread starter jelanier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hvac
In summary, the target superheat is based on an existing condition which takes into account what will happen as conditions change. When the target superheat is known, the suction pressure (converted to temp 'boiling') is compared with the measured temperature of the return line. This is the superheat value to be adjusted to equal the target value previously calculated.
jelanier
I was trying to calculate my target superheat when I ran into a bit of a problem. My indoor return wetbulb temperature is 60F and the outdoor ambient condenser temp is 90F. These figures apparently don't compute in a calculator application or a chart. With 60F wetbulb, the charts and calculators will only allow ambient condenser temperature of 80F. What is the explanation?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I'm quite following; those are two different airstreams/states. So the numbers don't get mixed together. So, what, exactly, are you trying to do?

Hard to explain in a few words, but I will try. When charging the A/C with refrigerant the idea is to maximize efficiency while also protecting against the possibility of liquid refrigerant in the return line. The conditions change with temperature. The target superheat is based on an existing condition which takes into account what will happen as conditions change. When the target superheat is known, the suction pressure (converted to temp 'boiling') is compared with the measured temperature of the return line. This is the superheat value to be adjusted to equal the target value previously calculated.

Your response is exactly why I ask the question. The indoor wetbulb measurement depends on indoor return temperature and humidity of the indoor air. The ambient is the air temperature entering the condenser outdoors. The systems are obviously related. I am trying to understand the "limit" that I came across.

(Oh, I am not trying to do anything. I have already done it. I did it under conditions that were not mathematically problematic)

Thanks

jelanier said:
Hard to explain in a few words, but I will try. When charging the A/C with refrigerant the idea is to maximize efficiency while also protecting against the possibility of liquid refrigerant in the return line. The conditions change with temperature. The target superheat is based on an existing condition which takes into account what will happen as conditions change. When the target superheat is known, the suction pressure (converted to temp 'boiling') is compared with the measured temperature of the return line. This is the superheat value to be adjusted to equal the target value previously calculated.
Ok...
Your response is exactly why I ask the question. The indoor wetbulb measurement depends on indoor return temperature and humidity of the indoor air. The ambient is the air temperature entering the condenser outdoors. The systems are obviously related. I am trying to understand the "limit" that I came across.
The indoor and outdoor conditions don't have to bear any relation to each other.
(Oh, I am not trying to do anything. I have already done it. I did it under conditions that were not mathematically problematic)
Maybe I'm missing something: what sort of chart are you plugging the numbers into? When you plug in the two numbers that work (what numbers?), what output does it give you? Can you provide a link to a sample chart? I assumed in my first post that it was a psychrometric chart...

This link may describe what you are trying to do:
http://www.achrnews.com/articles/92392-proper-use-of-superheat-measurements

Here's a sample chart:
http://web.fscj.edu/Mark.Bowman/handouts/Proper%20System%20Charging.pdf

The outdoor ambient temp tops out at 105F for this particular chart, but some of the values are blanked-off, including where 60 and 105 intersect. I think it is just telling you the conditions you are after are not achievable.

Basically, there are 2 heat exchangers connected by refrigerant that changes states. The heat exchangers are in different environments. I am sure it would be possible for me to derive a suitable equation to find limits. The fact that I did measure temperatures that are theoretically out of range or "not achievable" indicates a slight flaw in the target superheat calculation. The problem is that it takes considerable time for the total system to reach equilibrium. As long as the ambient temperature is changing, equilibrium will not be achieved.

Again, I am not "trying" to do anything. I have already charged the system. I was looking for an explanation, but after thinking about it a bit, I think my equilibrium latency statement (above) explains why. (BTW, your links are on subject)

Thanks

1. What is HVAC superheat?

HVAC superheat is a term used to describe the difference between the temperature of a refrigerant vapor and its boiling point at a given pressure. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of an HVAC system.

2. Why is it important to calculate target levels for HVAC superheat?

Calculating target levels for HVAC superheat helps ensure that the system is operating at optimal performance and efficiency. If the superheat levels are too high or too low, it can lead to issues such as reduced cooling capacity, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the system.

3. What are some common issues with calculating target levels for HVAC superheat?

Some common issues with calculating target levels for HVAC superheat include incorrect refrigerant charge, improper airflow, and inaccurate temperature measurements. These factors can result in incorrect superheat levels and affect the overall performance of the system.

4. How can these issues be resolved?

The best way to resolve issues with calculating target levels for HVAC superheat is to ensure proper refrigerant charge, adequate airflow, and accurate temperature measurements. Regular maintenance and proper installation can also help prevent these issues from occurring.

5. Is it necessary to regularly check and adjust target levels for HVAC superheat?

Yes, it is important to regularly check and adjust target levels for HVAC superheat to ensure the system is operating at its best performance. Factors such as changes in outdoor temperature and system usage can affect superheat levels, so it is crucial to monitor and adjust as needed to maintain optimal efficiency and performance.