1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superhero punching through a wall, breaking point of steel

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Comic-book superheroes are sometimes able to punch holes through steel walls.
    (a) If the ultimate shear strength of steel is taken to be 2.60X10^9 Pa, what force is required to punch through a steel plate 1.60 cm thick? Assume the superhero's fist has cross-sectional area of 104 cm2 and is approximately circular.

2. Relevant equations
    P=F/A
    Possibly F/A=Y*DeltaL/Linitial

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was P=F/A 2.6x10^9*(pi.104^2)=88346611.86

My teacher began doing the problem but got lost and was unsure how to proceed...she said she would have to look into it She gave us the answer which was 10500000N. I got lost with what she was doing and tried my own attempt. Meanwhile, our homework with an identical problem with different numbers is due before our next class. I am completely lost on how to do this problem. I would greatly appreciate help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted