Quantum Entanglement for Superluminal Communications: How Does It Work?

In summary, quantum entanglement is used in superluminal communications in order to maintain the connection between the particles. Quantum entanglement is not useful for exchanging information, but it is used for other purposes such as security.
quantum.cmptr
How is quantum entanglement used in superluminal communications? I'm not sure whether I have the right idea of quantum entanglement (and if I do not, please correct me), but I wonder how quantum entanglement is used if the particles in entanglement are autonomous (that is to say, they can't be tampered along with maintaining the entanglement between the particles).

Physics news on Phys.org
quantum.cmptr said:
How is quantum entanglement used in superluminal communications? I'm not sure whether I have the right idea of quantum entanglement (and if I do not, please correct me), but I wonder how quantum entanglement is used if the particles in entanglement are autonomous (that is to say, they can't be tampered along with maintaining the entanglement between the particles).
It is not. Entanglement is not useful in exchanging information. There is no such thing as superluminal communication.

Likes quantum.cmptr
quantum.cmptr said:

Welcome to PhysicsForums, quantum.cmptr!

As far as anyone know, superluminal (FTL) communication is not possible, neither using entanglement nor any other mechanism.

Likes quantum.cmptr
Thanks for all the answers!

Actually, what are some ways quantum communications work? I know this sounds a bit broad, but I'm curious on how it works.

That definitely is too broad, what exactly do you mean by 'quantum communications'
One field of communications which quantum computing is expected to improve dramatically is the field of encryptation,
also other applications.where security, 'hack-proofing', is a priority.

I apologize for the incorrectly phrased question. What I meant was quantum cryptography.

quantum.cmptr said:
I apologize for the incorrectly phrased question. What I meant was quantum cryptography.
And what research have you done so far? What have you found out?

Likes quantum.cmptr
All I know is that its just a new way of encryption, and that this is supposed to be harder to actually crack in comparison to current widely-used methods.

Thanks!

quantum.cmptr said:
All I know is that its just a new way of encryption, and that this is supposed to be harder to actually crack in comparison to current widely-used methods.

What you're really talking about here is quantum key distribution (QKD). This is not an encryption method, but a way of establishing a shared secret between two people, in such a way that the security of their shared secret can be given strict bounds. The shared secret data can then be used as a key for cryptographic purposes.

The 'Holy Grail' of QKD is to get the key establishment rate fast enough so that we can use the One Time Pad as the encryption method to encrypt the data. The OTP is provably secure.

In security terms, then, what needs to be compared is the security of classical key distribution methods vs the quantum key distribution method. The difficulty for QKD is that in terms of a security risk assessment the threat posed to conventional classical key distribution methods is not judged to be severe currently. In other words it's not seen as a weak link in the security chain.

This threat model changes when quantum computing becomes available because many of the conventional classical key exchange mechanisms used today rely on public key cryptography, the most popular forms of which are vulnerable to quantum computers. If someone built a working quantum computer tomorrow we'd have a financial meltdown. It really is that serious because almost all of the interactions on the internet (and other networks such as the SWIFT banking network) rely in part on public key techniques that are vulnerable to quantum computation. There has been a lot of work done in trying to figure out new encryption algorithms that are resistant to attack by a quantum computer - and it's known as quantum-safe encryption.

Likes quantum.cmptr
Thanks!

1. What is superluminal communication?

Superluminal communication refers to the transmission of information or signals at speeds faster than the speed of light. This is currently considered impossible according to the laws of physics.

2. Has superluminal communication been achieved?

No, superluminal communication has not been achieved. While there have been experiments and claims of achieving faster-than-light communication, none of them have been proven to be successful.

3. Why is superluminal communication considered impossible?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the energy required to accelerate it further becomes infinite. Therefore, it is theoretically impossible to achieve superluminal communication.

4. Are there any proposed methods for achieving superluminal communication?

Yes, there are some proposed methods for achieving superluminal communication, such as quantum tunneling and the Alcubierre drive. However, these methods are still purely theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.

5. What are the potential implications of superluminal communication?

If superluminal communication were to be achieved, it could have significant implications for the laws of physics and our understanding of the universe. It could also have practical applications in long-distance communication and space travel. However, until it is proven to be possible, these implications remain purely speculative.