What is the current explanation for apparent superluminal jets?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of superluminal motion and its current explanation. The Wikipedia article is referenced as a source and the question is asked about the academic consensus on the topic and if there is any explanation for the apparent faster-than-light speed. The other person clarifies that the article does explain the concept and asks for clarification on what part is not understood. The conversation ends with a thank you for the time.
easyrider
Im not going to pretend to be more educated than I am.

Now I know the usual explanation is that the jet is at a pretty significant angle in relation to the observer.

But, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superluminal_motion makes it seem the jet truly is traveling FTL.

I was just wondering what the most current accepted explanation is on apparent superluminal jets, academics wise?

And if it truly is apparently traveling faster than c, is there any explanation? I have a hard time throwing away one of the most sound principles in Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The explanation is given right there in the Wikipedia article. What part did you not understand?

Okay I am sort of confused. Is it saying that the jet is truly faster than light? Or is it kinda the same as, for example flicking a laser across the moon and the "point" is technically FTL but is otherwise meaningless as there is no linear superluminal motion and no information being transferred?

Sorry, and thank you for your time.

What are superluminal jets/sources?

Superluminal jets/sources are narrow, highly energetic beams of particles that are emitted from the vicinity of a compact object, such as a black hole or a neutron star, at velocities that exceed the speed of light.

How are superluminal jets/sources formed?

Superluminal jets/sources are formed through a process called synchrotron radiation, in which electrons are accelerated to near-light speeds and emit electromagnetic radiation in a focused direction.

What is the significance of superluminal jets/sources in astrophysics?

Superluminal jets/sources are important in astrophysics because they are a key mechanism by which energy and matter are transported over large distances in the universe. They also provide valuable insights into the physical processes that occur in extreme environments, such as those found near black holes.

Can superluminal jets/sources travel faster than the speed of light?

No, while superluminal jets/sources can appear to be moving faster than the speed of light due to a phenomenon called relativistic beaming, they do not actually exceed the speed of light. This is because the apparent speed is a result of the angle at which the particles are emitted, rather than their actual velocity.

How do scientists study superluminal jets/sources?

Scientists study superluminal jets/sources using a variety of observational techniques, including radio, infrared, X-ray, and gamma-ray telescopes. They also use computer simulations and theoretical models to better understand the physics behind these phenomena.