Remembering Superman: Why did Christopher Reeve's passing hit us so hard?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Superman
In summary, Christopher Reeve was an inspiring actor and philanthropist who was known for his role as Superman in the films. He died today after a long battle with injuries from a motor vehicle accident.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SUPERMAN (Cristopher Reeve) has died today. So I'm very sad :frown: . I was one of that children who were dreaming all nights of being Superman and flying all over the world. I usually went with my mother to the cinema to see each of his films, he was a part of my childhood. It was a pity to see C. Reeve sat in a wheels chair and compared with the powerful superman by all means.

Ufff, It seems I'm getting older... :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
A moment of silence for Mr. Reeve.

Clausius2 said:
SUPERMAN (Cristopher Reeve) has died today. So I'm very sad :frown: . I was one of that children who were dreaming all nights of being Superman and flying all over the world. I usually went with my mother to the cinema to see each of his films, he was a part of my childhood. It was a pity to see C. Reeve sat in a wheels chair and compared with the powerful superman by all means.

Ufff, It seems I'm getting older... :frown:
Are you still dreaming of becoming one? :biggrin:

Nooooo, you are not old at all, :redface:
50 is still strong enough to play tennis with me :biggrin: Hey, I do it every Sat and Sun :biggrin:

I've a secret for you Motifs:

I'm the true Superman. The films are based on me.

:biggrin:

I was looking through my movie collection of 3000 titles and decided to watch Superman yesterday (the day he died) before I heard that he had died. Quite a coincidence, isn't it?

Sad day. Watching those movies always makes me want to try and be a better person. Even in his wheelchair he was heroic. He could have given up and not done anything with the rest of his life, but he went on to make more movies and TV appearances. He was a great superhero.

Superman actor Christopher Reeve has died, his publicist has said. The 52-year-old fell into a coma on Saturday after suffering a cardiac arrest at his New York home.

How very sad. :frown:

Christopher was truly an inspiration to the spirt of life. He never complained about his physical problems and was always optimistic that he would prevail over his disabilities.

My condolences also go out to his wife, Dana, another very courageous person who never left Christopher's side.

R.I.P. "Superman"

http://lamag.com/media.htm

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=2411855

Artman said:
Even in his wheelchair he was heroic. He could have given up and not done anything with the rest of his life, but he went on to make more movies and TV appearances. He was a great superhero.

He did a lot more than make movies and appear on TV. He founded and helped raise funds for several medical research institutes. He actively lobbied for better insurance coverage for debilitating accidents (as a result of which legislation was passed). He lobbied the govt to increase funding for NIH. When Bush now claims that NIH funding has tripled since he came to office, he has no one person to thank (or criticize) more for that, than Mr. Reeve. Last year, Reeve was awarded the prestigious Lasker Award for his contributions to the field of Medicine, and award given to the likes of Crick & Watson, Sanger, Heimlich and Khorana.

And yeah, he won two Grammy Awards for best spoken word Album.

Poor guy,I don't think I will ever try riding horses.

Gokul43201 said:
He did a lot more than make movies and appear on TV. He founded and helped raise funds for several medical research institutes. He actively lobbied for better insurance coverage for debilitating accidents (as a result of which legislation was passed). He lobbied the govt to increase funding for NIH. When Bush now claims that NIH funding has tripled since he came to office, he has no one person to thank (or criticize) more for that, than Mr. Reeve. Last year, Reeve was awarded the prestigious Lasker Award for his contributions to the field of Medicine, and award given to the likes of Crick & Watson, Sanger, Heimlich and Khorana.

And yeah, he won two Grammy Awards for best spoken word Album.
Thank you for that information. I knew he had done much more, but didn't know the extent. Reeve's doctor said the actor taught him two four letter words, "hope and cure." Definitely a great loss.

Reeve was larger than life. It would seem he even surpassed his alter ego the heroic department.

R.I.P. Superman

It's curious, one of my colleagues of work was wearing today a shirt with the logo of Superman in it. I wonder if he knew something about it.
I remember reading in magazines some years ago an interview with him where he expressed his desire to gain the battle to its inability. I think that he tried hard

http://us.st8.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/wickedcoolstuff_1814_18313061​

I was really saddened to hear that he died :cry: . It's so sad :frown: . He was such an insparation for all of us.

He was an incredible man and someone to be admired. When you think of what he lost that day, he was on top of the world, young, handsome, famous, athletic, all gone in an instant.

He never seemed bitter about it. Instead he made the most of every minute and used his tragedy to help others.

For those in the US, one of his movies "Somewhere in Time" about a man that could travel back in time was already scheduled to be shown tonight on AMC (American Movie Classics).

So sad. I always thought he was one of the handsomest men who ever lived.

He was a strong advocate for neuroscience research, not just for work toward healing spinal cord injury, but all areas of neuroscience including Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer's research, to name a few. He also advocated Congress' doubling of the NIH budget. Most recently he had been advocating stem cell research. He was truly a friend of the neuroscience research community. My thoughts are with his family in their time of sorrow.

I missed him, may his soul rest in Jesus!
Bye bye, Superman.

Evo said:
For those in the US, one of his movies "Somewhere in Time" about a man that could travel back in time was already scheduled to be shown tonight on AMC (American Movie Classics).
This is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful movies ever filmed. Attractive stars, charming locations, haunting music, an absolute feast for the eyes and ears.

His death caught me off-guard. To think that even Superman himself isn't invincible makes me sad. Even in his condition, I never expected him to die. R.I.P, Mr. Reeve.

Moonbear said:
He was a strong advocate for neuroscience research, not just for work toward healing spinal cord injury, but all areas of neuroscience including Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer's research, to name a few. He also advocated Congress' doubling of the NIH budget. Most recently he had been advocating stem cell research. He was truly a friend of the neuroscience research community. My thoughts are with his family in their time of sorrow.

When I get terminally sick or be quadriplegic I will too advocating for increase in funding in medical sciences and steam cells stuff.
otherwise take a hike sick losers!

how is the woman acted together with him in the movie?
what's her name?
she too got problem of life, right? once admitted mental hospital?

Take your grief and apply it as positive energy by visiting the common superpeople in your community at nursing homes and hospitals.

This man struck me as someone with much spirit. I do not know, nor care to know, the particular details, but hope only he may have died easily.

who will be the second superman?

Saint said:
who will be the second superman?

Maybe he has cloned himself, I just can not imagine other superdude than Reeve.

1. Why was Christopher Reeve's passing such a big deal for fans of Superman?

Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Superman in the 1978 film and its sequels was iconic and beloved by many fans. He embodied the character and brought him to life in a way that resonated with audiences. His passing was not only a loss of a talented actor, but also a loss of a beloved hero.

2. How did Christopher Reeve's passing impact the world of entertainment?

Christopher Reeve's passing had a significant impact on the world of entertainment. It brought attention to the issue of spinal cord injuries and increased support for research and treatment. It also sparked discussions about the roles and responsibilities of celebrities in raising awareness for important causes.

3. What contributions did Christopher Reeve make to the Superman franchise?

Christopher Reeve's contributions to the Superman franchise were significant. He brought a level of depth and authenticity to the character that had not been seen before. He also helped to popularize the superhero genre and set the standard for future portrayals of Superman.

4. How did Christopher Reeve's passing affect the Superman fandom?

Christopher Reeve's passing had a profound impact on the Superman fandom. Many fans grew up watching his films and felt a personal connection to him as Superman. His passing was not only a loss of a beloved actor, but also a loss of a childhood hero. It brought the fandom together in mourning and remembrance.

5. What legacy did Christopher Reeve leave behind?

Christopher Reeve's legacy is multi-faceted. He will always be remembered as the first actor to truly embody Superman and bring him to life on the big screen. He also left a lasting impact on the world of entertainment and advocacy for spinal cord injuries. His legacy will continue to inspire and influence future generations.