Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superman has died today.

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

SUPERMAN (Cristopher Reeve) has died today. So I'm very sad :frown: . I was one of that children who were dreaming all nights of being Superman and flying all over the world. I usually went with my mother to the cinema to see each of his films, he was a part of my childhood. It was a pity to see C. Reeve sat in a wheels chair and compared with the powerful superman by all means.

Ufff, It seems I'm getting older.... :frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A moment of silence for Mr. Reeve.
  4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    Are you still dreaming of becoming one? :biggrin:
  5. Oct 11, 2004 #4
    Nooooo, you are not old at all, :redface:
    50 is still strong enough to play tennis with me :biggrin: Hey, I do it every Sat and Sun :biggrin:
  6. Oct 11, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've a secret for you Motifs:

I'm the true Superman. The films are based on me.

7. Oct 11, 2004 #6
    I was looking through my movie collection of 3000 titles and decided to watch Superman yesterday (the day he died) before I heard that he had died. Quite a coincidence, isn't it?

Sad day. Watching those movies always makes me want to try and be a better person. Even in his wheelchair he was heroic. He could have given up and not done anything with the rest of his life, but he went on to make more movies and TV appearances. He was a great superhero.
  8. Oct 11, 2004 #7
    Superman actor Christopher Reeve has died, his publicist has said. The 52-year-old fell into a coma on Saturday after suffering a cardiac arrest at his New York home.

How very sad. :frown:

Christopher was truly an inspiration to the spirt of life. He never complained about his physical problems and was always optimistic that he would prevail over his disabilities.

My condolences also go out to his wife, Dana, another very courageous person who never left Christopher's side.

R.I.P. "Superman"

9. Oct 11, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He did a lot more than make movies and appear on TV. He founded and helped raise funds for several medical research institutes. He actively lobbied for better insurance coverage for debilitating accidents (as a result of which legislation was passed). He lobbied the govt to increase funding for NIH. When Bush now claims that NIH funding has tripled since he came to office, he has no one person to thank (or criticize) more for that, than Mr. Reeve. Last year, Reeve was awarded the prestigious Lasker Award for his contributions to the field of Medicine, and award given to the likes of Crick & Watson, Sanger, Heimlich and Khorana.

And yeah, he won two Grammy Awards for best spoken word Album.
  10. Oct 11, 2004 #9
    Poor guy,I don't think I will ever try riding horses.
  11. Oct 11, 2004 #10
    Thank you for that information. I knew he had done much more, but didn't know the extent. Reeve's doctor said the actor taught him two four letter words, "hope and cure." Definitely a great loss.
  12. Oct 11, 2004 #11
    Reeve was larger than life. It would seem he even surpassed his alter ego the heroic department.

R.I.P. Superman
  13. Oct 11, 2004 #12
    It's curious, one of my colleagues of work was wearing today a shirt with the logo of Superman in it. I wonder if he knew something about it.
    I remember reading in magazines some years ago an interview with him where he expressed his desire to gain the battle to its inability. I think that he tried hard
  14. Oct 11, 2004 #13

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Oct 11, 2004 #14
    I was really saddened to hear that he died :cry: . It's so sad :frown: . He was such an insparation for all of us.
  16. Oct 11, 2004 #15

Staff: Mentor

He was an incredible man and someone to be admired. When you think of what he lost that day, he was on top of the world, young, handsome, famous, athletic, all gone in an instant.

He never seemed bitter about it. Instead he made the most of every minute and used his tragedy to help others.

For those in the US, one of his movies "Somewhere in Time" about a man that could travel back in time was already scheduled to be shown tonight on AMC (American Movie Classics).
  17. Oct 11, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So sad. I always thought he was one of the handsomest men who ever lived.
  18. Oct 11, 2004 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was a strong advocate for neuroscience research, not just for work toward healing spinal cord injury, but all areas of neuroscience including Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer's research, to name a few. He also advocated Congress' doubling of the NIH budget. Most recently he had been advocating stem cell research. He was truly a friend of the neuroscience research community. My thoughts are with his family in their time of sorrow.
  19. Oct 12, 2004 #18
    I missed him, may his soul rest in Jesus!
    Bye bye, Superman.
  20. Oct 12, 2004 #19
    This is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful movies ever filmed. Attractive stars, charming locations, haunting music, an absolute feast for the eyes and ears.
  21. Oct 12, 2004 #20
    His death caught me off-guard. To think that even Superman himself isn't invincible makes me sad. Even in his condition, I never expected him to die. R.I.P, Mr. Reeve.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?