Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superman time travel

1. May 25, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

In the movie, when superman flies near light speed, he manages to reverse time? Was the story-line just completely off from a physical perspective or is there some truth to this phenomenon? I understand that time would slow down for superman from a human's perspective. Maybe I just didn't understand what the movie-makers were implying that superman was doing, possibly (or impossibly) travelling faster than c in order to turn back the clock?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2
    i would think that their reasoning would be correct. however if you put it in einstein's view, he would probably say that it would be rubbish as you need infinite mass to reach light speed. but overall, they are are half correct in showing him do that stunt.

4. May 25, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What was their half-baked reasoning though? Were they implying that travelling near the speed of light will cause backward time travel, or that superman travelled faster than light?

5. May 25, 2009 #4
    I thought he was traveling backwards to the spin of the Earth, turning back the days. I left the room to vomit. Did I over-react?

6. May 25, 2009 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

That idea sounds even worse! They're saying that if you can travel faster than the Earth's rotation (which most jets now-a-days are accomplishing daily) but in the opposite direction, you will travel back in time? :rofl:

7. May 26, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No. Come on now.

He was clearly flying at relativistic speeds - his path became just a blur (at the speed of light, he would circumnavigate the Earth about 7 times every second. Good thing they're paying attention to detail! :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:)

They're clearly extrapolating that, if time slows down and stops at c, then exceeding c should make it go backwards.

8. May 26, 2009 #7
    maybe he had some help from his trusty sidekick mathman to renormalise some infinities.

9. May 26, 2009 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

So he was supposed to be travelling faster than c? Thats quite an amazing velocity to reach! Not to mention the acceleration (he got to max speed in about 3 seconds). Imagine the G-forces this guy was feeling! But then again, a bullet won't penetrate his eye so I'm sure he didn't feel more than a tickle :smile:

10. May 26, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the old comic-books, that exactly what he did in order to travel back in time!
    (Vomiting may have been a bit of an over-reaction.)

11. May 26, 2009 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I doubt these old comics came from before the time of Einstein and relativity. If superman weren't first published as a cartoon and aimed for children, I'd have to question the writers' knowledge of... stuff in general...

12. May 26, 2009 #11
    Wait I know! He went around the Earth so fast, he was able to spin the Earth backward via relativistic frame drag, thereby reversing the days. It's all so obvious now.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  13. May 26, 2009 #12

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've always thought that he went so fast he made the Earth spin the other way, thus reversing time (obviously that's what'd happen!).

I never saw anything relativistic in this because otherwise he needn't fly in a circle, he could just fly in a straight line, break C, and then fly right back. Also, if it were to do with relativity why did the filmmakers spin the Earth the other way? o_O

14. May 26, 2009 #13
    Yeah that's what I thought it was supposed to be, something like that. Ridiculous I know but you can tell this is what they were going for because after he spins the earth one way, he SPINS IT BACK the other way to make time go forward again.

15. May 26, 2009 #14

Hmm. I don't know whom's fooling who..

How do you figure he learned that trick, growing up in a barn full of hay, and all?

16. May 26, 2009 #15

atyy

Science Advisor

Practised on a chick or piglet.

17. May 27, 2009 #16

Mentallic

Homework Helper

He would have failed everytime due to relativistic reflux of the livestock's intestines.

18. May 27, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What astonished me was not the idea that he could fly faster than the speed of light thus travelling back in time, it was that he could fly faster than the speed of light to reverse time. (Subtle difference.)

He flew really fast.
    The Earth stopped and reversed its rotation.
    He stopped flying fast.
    The Earth continued to rotate in the opposite direction.
    He flew real fast the other way.
    The Earth stopped and reversed its rotation back to normal.

See, there was a period of a few seconds there where he was flying normally and Earth was continuing to rotate backwards. The implication is that, if he has decided to go land, he would see everybody walking backwards, etc.

19. May 28, 2009 #18

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Hehe nice observation DaveC.

I'm also wondering if it truly is possible to reverse the spin of the such a large mass as the Earth that quickly with a mass of a normal human travelling near the speed of light. I'm unsure of what the physical phenomenon of this is called though. I'm guessing it could happen due to the atmosphere moving with superman, and thus slowly re-rotating the Earth in the opposite direction with superman. But again, superman clearly flew at least half the radius of the Earth into space before his flight so the atmosphere there would be so very thin?

20. May 28, 2009 #19
    On a more serious note, at school we were taught that although the speed of superman was, of course, variable, it was the same all reference frames.

Matheinste.

21. May 28, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What? No! He flew faster than the speed of light. He traveled backward in time. He did not do anything to the Earth at all. We were seeing the Earth from his point of view, while he was travelling backward in time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook