Supernatural Experiences

• Thread starter Bariyon
  • Start date

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
May I jump in here a second? To me it's not that the Christians are hypocrites, many I have known are sincerely good, in the way good has been prescribed for them. It's just that there is a world of goodness out there that is beyond their ken.

And what wisdom do they leave out? Start with fun. There are passages about Jesus weeping, and Jesus praying, and Jesus doing all sorts of things, but I don't know of any passage where Jesus enjoys a belly laugh. And as for St. Paul, I don't believe the man ever enjoyed even a private chuckle.

Evo

Mentor
I have had an experience that I have been unable to find a rational answer to. I'd like to hear opinions on what I might have experienced.

This was several years ago. I was in the kitchen making a cup of tea. The cup was on the counter with a tea bag in it. I picked up the teapot and started to pour the boiling water into the cup. As I did, the cup cracked and the hot water poured out onto the counter, suddenly, there was no water on the counter, I had not poured the water into the cup, the cup had not cracked and I was holding the teapot, ready to begin pouring.

I was startled, to say the least, and decided it was some odd mini "daydream", so I poured the boiling water into the cup, and as I did, the cup cracked and the hot water poured out onto the counter. Exactly as it had just happened.

confutatis

Originally posted by Evo
I was in the kitchen making a cup of tea. The cup was on the counter with a tea bag in it. I picked up the teapot and started to pour the boiling water into the cup. As I did, the cup cracked and the hot water poured out onto the counter, suddenly, there was no water on the counter, I had not poured the water into the cup, the cup had not cracked and I was holding the teapot, ready to begin pouring.

I was startled, to say the least, and decided it was some odd mini "daydream", so I poured the boiling water into the cup, and as I did, the cup cracked and the hot water poured out onto the counter. Exactly as it had just happened.
I once had a strange experience myself. It was entirely different in nature and content, but the explanation I eventually found for it seems to explain your own experience very well.

The content of our minds is not directly forced on them by reality. The recording-camera view of the brain has been disproved a long time ago. What in fact happens is that the brain does quite a lot of work to put together a coherent picture of reality, complete with images, sounds, smells, etc., out of millions of disparate nerve signals. That so many signals, coming from so many different sources in your body, can be fully integrated into a homogeneous picture where every detail is in perfect harmony with the whole, that is nothing short of mindboggling.

Now I noticed two interesting things from my "paranormal" experience. The first was that this activity of putting together a coherent picture is an ongoing process; the picture does not get created and just stays there, it has to be refreshed several times per second, so as to keep pace with changes in reality. The second interesting thing is that there's quite a lot of "figuring out" going on to refresh the picture. That is, the brain does not recreate the whole picture from scratch several times per second - that would be inefficient, I suppose - but rather "guesses" what comes next based on the previous picture. Very much like digital compression, for those who are familiar with the process, only far more sophisticated.

This "guessing game" is pretty good, but it does go wrong sometimes. When the brain guesses wrong, you suddenly lose touch with reality, and the picture in your mind does not correspond to what is really going on outside your mind. That seldom lasts longer than a split second; as soon as the discrepancy is perceived the brain re-adjusts itself and gets in sync with reality again. It's a marvelous process.

Now in your case, let me tell what I think the best explanation is. Before pouring water in the cup, your subconscious must have figured out that, given the state of the cup and the water temperature, that there was a good chance the cup would crack and the water would spill over the counter. That's not a difficult thing for the subconscious to guess. So your brain was getting ready ("guessing") the picture of a broken teacup and spilled water. Then for some reason you lost sync with reality, and the event did not happen when your brain expected it. You saw the image of what would happen, but it was a fluke. It didn't last long though, and eventually you realized it was a fluke. "Odd", you think, but nothing phenomenal. What seems phenomenal is that what your subconscious had guessed before actually happened, and you got the same picture in your mind again, only this time it was not inconsistent with what was really happening - it was, as we say, real.

Pretty strange, but easy to understand if you see it in those terms. And for the record, I don't think this is really, really what happens, I just think it's a good explanation which fits the facts of your experience as well as the experience I had. But I wrote too much already and will save my experience for another post.

Evo

Mentor
Hi Confutatis,

That is the best explanation I have had so far! I believe that may be the answer. Strange how the mind works...

confutatis

Originally posted by Evo
Hi Confutatis,

That is the best explanation I have had so far! I believe that may be the answer. Strange how the mind works...
I'm glad it made sense to you. I think the idea could be hard to understand for those who never had experiences like that. Those experiences are quite common, by the way.

In a sense, what happened to you could also be explained as traveling to the future. That seems to bother some people who have those experiences, they seem to think the experience implies that the future is already determined. But if you think of the future as just our imagination, the past as just our memories, and the present as the only thing that is real in a physical sense, then there's nothing extraordinary about traveling to the future. We probably do it all the time anyway.

Evo

Mentor
Originally posted by confutatis
I once had a strange experience myself. It was entirely different in nature and content, but the explanation I eventually found for it seems to explain your own experience very well.
So, what was your experience?

confutatis

Originally posted by Evo
So, what was your experience?
OK, here it goes:

I woke up from an afternoon nap and for some strange reason found myself unable to move any muscle in my body. It was so weird! I tried to get up from the bed and no matter how hard I willed for my legs and harms to move, they would simply not respond.

I didn't know what to make it at the time. At first I thought I could be dreaming, but I ruled out the hypothesis. I was fully aware of everything: my location, the time of the day, what I had done before taking a nap, what I had to do after I woke up; you don't get that kind of clear awareness in dreams. So my next thought was, could I be dying? Maybe my body stopped working and my mind would be next. That didn't seem likely either; I was not experiencing anything that could be thought of as causing my death: no pain, no accident, no confusion, nothing; just the ordinary act of trying to wake up from an afternoon nap, something I've done countless times before.

So while still trying to figure out what was going on, suddenly I felt myself moving. "Great", I thought, "it's over". Then I got out of the bed and started walking towards the living room, since I had something important to do. To my surprise, before I got to the living room I found myself back in bed again! I could swear I had really walked, but it must have been my imagination. I went through this three or four times, each time thinking I had actually left the bed, only to find myself back in it a few moments later.

I wasn't impressed with that part of the experience that much. Sure it was weird, but it can all be explained in terms of a brain glitch. What did impress me, quite a lot, was that all the time I had this very strong feeling that my grandmother was at my side. My grandmother had died more than ten years before, but the sense of her presence by my side was far stronger than if a real person were standing in front of me. For that, I have no explanation. Not only was the feeling so strong, it was something I had never experienced before. I couldn't have hallucinated it because I didn't even know such a sensation existed. It felt like a sense I always had but never used, like a man who experienced vision for the first time after a life of blindness. I don't know what it means, I don't know if it has anything to do with spirits and the afterlife, and I don't trust anyone who claims to know. All I know is that I experienced it.

A few minutes after the experience, after I had regained control of my body and "my grandmother" went away, I was standing in a corner of the room, still puzzled by the whole affair, and then something very weird happened to top it all up. All of a sudden, a strong wind blew around me, lifting drapes, paper, and my own clothing. Up until then I wasn't spooked, but the wind scared the bejesus out of me! All doors and windows were closed and there was nothing that could have caused it. I tried to blow as hard as I could and nothing around me would move as it did with the "wind". I have no idea what caused it; the only thought that came to my mind at the time was, "that's grandma going". I must have watched too many movies.

By this time I suppose most readers are thinking, "this guy is full of crap". I don't blame anyone, and I seldom talk about this stuff to people. Myself, I would never believe it if someone told me.

So there you go, take it for what it's worth.

Evo

Mentor
Originally posted by confutatis
OK, here it goes:

By this time I suppose most readers are thinking, "this guy is full of crap". I don't blame anyone, and I seldom talk about this stuff to people. Myself, I would never believe it if someone told me.

So there you go, take it for what it's worth.
Wow, the last part about the wind was creepy. Hey, you're just relating what you experienced. People are always willing to give their opinion, which, of course, is based on their personal beliefs.

It seems a lot of people have experiences that can't be explained away. Many are very credible, down to earth people. Abraham Lincoln said he saw his own funeral.

Obviously there is more going on around us than we currently understand. Something is only "paranormal" until it is explained. Maybe one of the explanations will turn out to be that people do move on to another plane of existance after death and that occasionally the planes "touch". You may never find out what happend, but it would be nice to think that your grandmother was there with you.

I neither believe nor disbelieve in an afterlife. Part of me believes that when the brain dies, all that we are ceases to exist because we are just the product of our brain process. The other part of me is willing to admit that I don't know "everything" and there are a lot of unanswered questions in the universe that my puny little brain can't begin to comprehend.

I also had a weird experience a couple of years ago. I was taking laundry into my daughter's bedroom. We had 2 white cats, but one had died a few months earlier. When I opened the door to her room and was entering, the cat started to follow me in. My daughter didn't like the cat in her room so I started pulling the door shut behind me and was trying to block the cat from entering by blocking the door opening with my foot & leg, telling the cat "NO". It ended up getting into the room between my foot and the door and then ran behind the bed.

I closed the door and put the laundry down and then proceeded to go after the cat. There was no cat. The room was empty except for me. I saw the cat run in. I felt it as it brushed my leg when it came through the door. I left the room thinking that it had to have some way gotten out. I searched the house. No cat. I finally found the cat outside.

Of course, the most reasonable explanation is that I'm losing my mind. :wink:

So that was my experience, not nearly as interesting as yours.

confutatis

Originally posted by Evo
It seems a lot of people have experiences that can't be explained away. Many are very credible, down to earth people.
I know that now, but before it happened to me I thought people just made that kind of stuff up.

Reality is far more complex and mysterious than we dare conceive.

Of course, the most reasonable explanation is that I'm losing my mind.
I don't think so. I think one needs to be cool about that stuff, realize that it happens because there's more to nature and our brains than we currently understand. Take the experiences for what they are, seek some scientific or spiritual explanations if you want, but don't let the experience and the explanations change what's important in your life. I think that's a good recipe to keep one's sanity while at the same time keeping an open mind.

So that was my experience, not nearly as interesting as yours.
I thought it was interesting. I had a few strange experiences like that, and what I learned from them, at least in my case, is that the more you think about those experiences, the more of them you have. In other words, be careful when exploring your own mind, you may end up in a place you don't want to be.

"Definitions"

first off.i would like to apologize due to my ignorance.yes i have been ignorant to this thread and i will explain how.i started looking through threads and i found this one.When i began to read this thread i made it to page 2 and started seing the word definitions apear.so after seing this word i desided to say something on behalf of ppl like me whom do not dwell apon "definitions".this is where my ingnorance began though due to i have not fully read the post up to this point so again.sorry if i state anything that has already been covered.Anyway going back to my point of interest.definitions in case whom ever is using them (i did not look at names ) you are in the "Metaphysics" section of this site and "metahysics" has 2 main things(rules) that must be followed if you are to speak in a metaphysical discusion(this thread).First rule Nothing is certain...as in nothing any one says can be completly true speaking metaphysicaly because metaphysics is thinking & taking every event or thought you can into consideration,and eventualy you will find some error in the certainty of what your talking about. ruling that nothing is ever 100% true. if you disagree with that please state your arguement i would be happy to speak abiyt it.......Second rule of metaphysics is that metaohysics when it comes down to it is questioning EVERYTHING so when a definition pops up it is questioned ......Given those 2 rules science is ultimatly at this point of existense not to be used when a question about supenatural events or when speakibg metaphysicaly.....if your our "bound to speak science" then physics is your place not metaphysics....to often i have seen ppl like "musimushi"(sorry if any typos in the name) ruin a discusion by bringing science into it...when that hapens it becomes an argument or the oriinal pupose of the topic is lost....So plz keep sicence to physics not metaphysics.

Confutatis,

Your experience was almost certainly an elaborate manifestation of the sleep disorder known as sleep paralysis.

I have had several bouts with this myself, at least one of which was as elaborate as yours.

Here is info on sleep paralysis as well as other sleep disorders:

Sleep Paralysis Page
Address:http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

-Zooby

I have heard of paralysis like that before and even know someone who got it. So that part is not so hard to understand and because it is a mental thing and not a physical problem I would think that weird thought processes are possible. I guess I am pretty familiar with weird thought processes as when I prepare to sleep I begin to hear voices talking and sometime songs that I have never heard. No they are not halucinations because with the exception of one time they never seem to be external in nature. There is a name for this that I cannot remember right now but it has been happening to me for as long as I can remember. They do not talk to me just among themselves. No it is not a dream because I will sometimes tell my wife what is going on as sometimes it is quite like watching a movie. But I did have on event where it sounded like two people talking in my room but the sound was in a location that was above the floor so I knew it could not be real. They were talking about how to sign a union book, and I am not in a union and never have been so why that topic I do not know. I just had to look to see and sure enough the voices continued talking but there was no one there.

One other thing that used to happen to me is that I would look for something and be unable to find it. Always said it I set it in another dimension because many times I would end up finding it in the first place I looked or sitting on an open table where I had looked earlier.

Also who has not ducked from something that was coming at them from behind.

Are any of these unexplainable? Not really but I think that the mind can play some serious games on you. Ok one more example of that. I was involved in a trial where my boss was cheating on his contract. He had lots of guys billed to the job but there was not work to do so they started playing games like carry a shovel back and forth in a rely just so they would look like something was going on. Naturally many of the stories were told over and over as it was the main topic of conversation for quite a long time. By the time the trial came some of those events were so clear in my head that it was just as if I was there. I was at the site a few times but I believe that some of these images and stories that are clear as a bell in my head were never observed by me directly. I am not sure and that is the scary part but I can see how after a time something that you think about over and over soon becomes a real event to you.

Evo

Mentor
Originally posted by raptor5618
Ok one more example of that. I was involved in a trial where my boss was cheating on his contract. He had lots of guys billed to the job but there was not work to do so they started playing games like carry a shovel back and forth in a rely just so they would look like something was going on. Naturally many of the stories were told over and over as it was the main topic of conversation for quite a long time. By the time the trial came some of those events were so clear in my head that it was just as if I was there. I was at the site a few times but I believe that some of these images and stories that are clear as a bell in my head were never observed by me directly. I am not sure and that is the scary part but I can see how after a time something that you think about over and over soon becomes a real event to you.
It's called false memories, I believe. Not all that uncommon, if I understand correctly. A person can develop these on their own either by thinking about something over and over or being told the same thing over and over by another person.

FZ+

Originally posted by Bernardo
So you had a 'natural' experience when you were looking for a supernatural one. It's not uncommon to have an experience like this. This is a sad thing when people are hypocrites. These people you base this opinion on - I don't excuse their conduct, there are too many people out there giving Christianity a bad name. People doing things 'in the name of God' that contradict everything He stands for. People who go to church on Sunday and forget it all on Monday - this really bothers me.

but. . .

To place the burden of our belief in a creator on the conduct of someone else, the creation, is to ensure failure. Preconceptions always lead to disappointment. Have you looked past the teachings of the particular denomination you were in, did you test them like you do in science. Did you ever read your Bible and try to learn on your own when attending, or did you just expect to be spoon fed?

What wisdom do you see being excluded?
This topic is exceedingly old, and stuff, but I might as well answer this.

My feelings are not that a "true" Christianity is being stifled by the failure of its followers. In fact, the opposite. The thing was, as I did read the Bible myself, I begin to see how compromises are constantly made for it. I believed that the goodness came not from the book, but from the people, and that the case is that of the good (and bad) christians having to force their own thoughts through the moderator of scripture. To be a "good" christian, you must be a hypocrite.

It was as Neitzesch said. "God is dead." This statement was not in fact one of atheism, but the philosopher's accusation that christianity had slain God, had slain morality, and is slaying thought. I saw no longer a need to try to put my own sense of right and wrong in a biblical context. I no longer wanted to say "what can we learn from this", because I felt that when we ask this, we are in fact asking "which thing we already believe in can we back up with this passage". And so, one of the reasons I rejected christianity was ironically to reconcile my wish to be a good christian, and not to be a hypocrite.

Wisdom excluded? Voltaire, Confucius, Neitzesch, the Buddha... and so on.

I agree..

..And so, one of the reasons I rejected christianity was ironically to reconcile my wish to be a good christian, and not to be a hypocrite...
Actually its not really all that ironic. I doubt Christ himself would like the state of Christianity. Apologetics??

Njorl

Science Advisor
The mind is a very tricky thing.

I remember a dream I had that incorporated sounds around me into my dream. The janitor of my apartment building had a habit of pushing her cart down the hall with a mop handle sticking out and scraping the wall. My bed was just on the other side of this wall. When this sound hit me, my dream switched to riding the subway. I woke up right after, and still heard the scraping.

The odd thing was, I dreamt about riding the subway for about an hour, but I know the dream only lasted a few seconds. I wondered, did I dream at high speed, or did I implant memories within my dream? I believe it was the latter. This is a bit frightening. If we can implant memories within a dream, how do we know it doesn't happen to our concious mind?

When I was a kid, we used to wonder about the possibility that everything is just a put on just for you. The whole world you see is really different. It was a fantasy though, with no rational explanation behind it. But what if there really are rational explanations for all memories to be untrustworthy? I'm not talking about little errors. I'm concerned that the clearest memories of the important events in our lives could be wrong. Scary.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
The mind is a very tricky thing.

I remember a dream I had that incorporated sounds around me into my dream. The janitor of my apartment building had a habit of pushing her cart down the hall with a mop handle sticking out and scraping the wall. My bed was just on the other side of this wall. When this sound hit me, my dream switched to riding the subway. I woke up right after, and still heard the scraping.

The odd thing was, I dreamt about riding the subway for about an hour, but I know the dream only lasted a few seconds. I wondered, did I dream at high speed, or did I implant memories within my dream? I believe it was the latter. This is a bit frightening. If we can implant memories within a dream, how do we know it doesn't happen to our concious mind?

When I was a kid, we used to wonder about the possibility that everything is just a put on just for you. The whole world you see is really different. It was a fantasy though, with no rational explanation behind it. But what if there really are rational explanations for all memories to be untrustworthy? I'm not talking about little errors. I'm concerned that the clearest memories of the important events in our lives could be wrong. Scary.

Njorl
You must have recently watched the Matrix, hey? -Kidding.. I do know what you mean. The deeper the sleep the less our conciousness is governed by time. Thus, no true concept of time, only space when we are dreaming.. Example: You can dream the equivaent of 24hrs in 15 minutes. Dream state is simply a layer of true conciousness minus some somatics. I often confuse dreams I remember with stuff that actually happened. Even scarier, sometimes the memory my dreams come up with truly never happened. But its funny how they seem so factual while dreaming. You think thats scary, how about the explanation that we are in someone else's conciousness when that happens! Even scarier, that someone could be dead! Not the afterlife or reincarnation but our Spirit's ever lasting connection to the UNIVERSE and the Universe to our Spirits. The mind will never be understood by man...

Last edited:
"Has anyone had an experience that lies outside the understanding of present science? "

Consciousness is outside of the understanding of current science.

all to many

if you have read any of my other threads that i have posted you would know that i have had MANY MANY "unexplained experinces" that may never be explained by .

all to many

if you have read any of my other threads that i have posted you would know that i have had MANY MANY "unexplained experinces" that may never be explained by .

all to many

if you have read any of my other threads that i have posted you would know that i have had MANY MANY "unexplained experinces" that may never be explained by science. but yes we have all probaly had at some point in our lives have had something hapen to us that cannot at this present time be explained by modern science.

sorry

my apologies for the double post i clicked it twice and had not relized it until after.

I really don't care if there are such things as miracles.

Last edited: