Is There a Reliable Supernova Alert System?

In summary: I hadn't heard of SNEWS, but according to the site it is only for supernovae in our galaxy. I don't think early detection is reliably available for more distant ones.There are a number of reliable Supernova alert systems, but they vary in their coverage. Some are regional, while others are global. Some are based on detecting specific types of events, while others are based on analyzing data collected from past events.
Loup909
I was wondering if there are any reliable Supernova alert systems, where they notify me as soon as a supernova happens. I have a 20 inch telescope, and I have SNEWS installed. However, since SNEWS is only a detection for nearby galaxies, I was wondering if there is any alert system for supernovae that applies to everything. I just want an alert system that tells me to jump on my telescope as soon as a supernova occurs. I'm actually a student doing a research project, and I'm looking to run to observatory as soon as a supernova happens. I'm trying to make a light curve for it and make it as complete as possible. I know that there's lists of recent supernovae that update once in a while, is there anyway to keep updated on all supernovae?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I hadn't heard of SNEWS, but according to the site it is only for supernovae in our galaxy. I don't think early detection is reliably available for more distant ones.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and Loup909
russ_watters said:
I hadn't heard of SNEWS, but according to the site it is only for supernovae in our galaxy. I don't think early detection is reliably available for more distant ones.
The entire point of SNEWS is to use the neutrino signal to pinpoint the supernova before it is visible in the electromagnetic spectrum. This of course has a limited range because of how sensitive neutrino detectors are.

Edit: Or rather, how non-interactive neutrinos are...

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too, Loup909 and russ_watters
thanks guys! Understood!

Likes berkeman
There's CBAT, but a) it costs money and b) publishes all sorts of transient phenomena.

Also, a 20" may not be useful, depending on where you are located. You'll get a magnitude 15 event every few weeks. Depending on the light polution, this could be tough.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is a supernova alert system?

A supernova alert system is a network of telescopes and other instruments that are designed to detect and monitor supernovae, which are extremely bright and powerful explosions that occur at the end of a star's life.

2. How does a supernova alert system work?

A supernova alert system works by constantly scanning the night sky for changes in the brightness of stars. When a supernova occurs, it releases a burst of energy and light that can be detected by these instruments. The data is then analyzed to confirm the presence of a supernova and determine its location.

3. Is there a reliable supernova alert system currently in place?

Yes, there are several reliable supernova alert systems in place, such as the Intermediate Palomar Transient Factory (iPTF) and the All-Sky Automated Survey for Supernovae (ASAS-SN). These systems have a high success rate in detecting and confirming supernovae.

4. How quickly can a supernova be detected and reported by the alert system?

The time it takes for a supernova to be detected and reported by the alert system can vary depending on the system and the location of the supernova. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for a supernova to be confirmed and reported.

5. Can a supernova alert system predict when and where a supernova will occur?

No, a supernova alert system cannot predict when and where a supernova will occur. These explosions are unpredictable and can happen at any time and in any part of the sky. However, these systems can quickly detect and report a supernova once it has occurred.