Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supernova ignition.

1. Jun 10, 2004 #1
    I have been reading up on some theoretical idea's for supernovai etc..etc

It is interesting that there may be some correllation between Blackholes and AGN, and consequently Stars going Supernova.

Does anyone know if what I am going to state has been looked into?

It seems probable that all Galaxies have a central Blackhole at their core, and around certain cores Stars are dynamically influenced by the Gravitational effects of their proximity. Tidal effects would be distributed out throughout the host Galaxy, so there is a possibility that as BHs consume Stars, and increase their Mass, their influence upon Stars that are further out along Galactic Arms etc..etc, may be influenced by the change in the distributed Galactic Mass.

Surely if Blackholes consume Stars, then Stars that are not being consumed, must have some effect imposed upon them , such as Tidal Effects,(Gravitational Pulls?) which could theoretically 'trigger' some Stars to go supernova?

A Stars condition is based on its own Pressure due to the number of Photon emmissions and with the Elemental makeup within the Stars core, therefore it is may be probable that a Star going Supernova(collapse), may also be conditional of its proximity along the Galactic arms, due to the influence of the Galactic Core BHs 'appetite' in consuming Stars that stray to Close?

Stars distributed along the Galactic Arms have some protection due to the Galactic plane, but there amy be 'weak-spots' along the arm, and with the 'Time' Blackhole core devours nearby Stars. For instance I would think that if a Galactic Blackhole is consuming a vast number of Stars, removing, or Transfering of some of the Galactic Mass must be occuring, and this could influence the rate at which other Stars convert their energy source?

The classification of Blackhole Mass and Stella Mass being the factors when identifying Galactic Blackholes clearly show that Galactic Blackholes are central to birth and death of all of its Stars in its Gravitational influence.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

The thing to remember about black holes is their gravitational pull isn't fundamentally different than any other massive object. the idea of a cosmic vacuum cleaner is a little bit of a misnomer. Tidal effects drop very quickly with distance, so all the supermassive black hole does at the center of the galaxy is keep the stars in orbit around it.
  4. Jun 12, 2004 #3
    So the Blackhole at our Galactic core plays no part in influence of Stars around the Galactic arms?

Nearby (Core) Stars would not shine, and consequently be structured as Quark-Stars/compacted/Neutrons. Hence these Stars would also be the 'primordial' Proton Stars that eventually get flung away from the Galactic Core, as they move outwards along the Plane Junction and onto the spiral highways/arms, they lose their ability to 'Not-shine' and burst into nova, ordinary functional Stars.

There may be a correlation to the amount of time a 'Quark-Star' spends within the closeby proximity of our Galactic core, actually dictates the amount of a Lifespan that an emerging ordinary Star will spend in a certain 'phase'.

Some Stars that are influenced greatly in and around the Galactic core will have certain elements, and thus will be compacted by the HIGH-DENSITY, this density of certain stars such as 'NEUTRON/QUARK' stars may be such as to not allow photon emmision to occur until it progresess away from the GC..now where I have I seen data which actually confirms this?

I will return..
  5. Jun 28, 2004 #4
    Milky Way Galactic Core Effects

Posted by Olias;
    “Surely if Blackholes consume Stars, then Stars that are not being consumed, must have some effect imposed upon them , such as Tidal Effects,(Gravitational Pulls?) which could theoretically 'trigger' some Stars to go supernova?”

Of course they have effects imposed upon them (if they come within the “gravity-well” of the Supermassive Black Hole at the centre of our Milky Way).

“…Thus, even a supermassive black hole would be a small and inconspicuous object, were it not for its gravitational effect on surrounding material.”

Image of the Central Region of our Milky Way;

The Galactic Centre;

My personal theory is;

The Centre of our Milky Way’s Supermassive Black Hole certainly effects the orbiting spiral arm’s stars through periodical gravitational waves, but mainly through interacting magnetic and electrical fields (stars exchange/interact magnetically/electrically with Supermassive Black Holes). Superheated Hydrogen Gas is usually the conduit/vessel for such interactions. Whilst, I believe (under extreme conditions) it may be possible for such forces to "trigger" a Supernova of an orbiting star, I do consider the manifestation of such conditions, highly unlikely.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  6. Jun 28, 2004 #5
  7. Aug 3, 2004 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?