Help Calculate Velocity of Supernova Remnant Knot

• Thread starter maverick60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the velocity of a knot in a project on Cas A. The individual is seeking advice on how to calculate the velocity and mentions dividing the distance by the number of years, but is unsure of the units. The conversation ends with the individual resolving the issue on their own.
maverick60
Supernova Remnant Help!

Hi guys,

Im just about to finish up my project work for my thesis which is on Cas A. I have calculate the distance between my knot and old knot from a previous experiment in arcsecs. I now need to find the velocity of my knot. Any ideas on how to calculate it?? I know i need to divide the distance by the number of years but I don't know what units.

Cheers,
Fran.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Too vague, what 'knots' are you referring to? Angular separation tells you next to nothing about distance. Most scientists rely on redshift for extragalactic distances. Intergalactic distances are usually calibrated using Cepheids or tipping magnitudes.

its cool i managed to work it out thanks.

1. How is the velocity of a supernova remnant knot calculated?

The velocity of a supernova remnant knot is calculated using the Doppler effect. This is a phenomenon where the wavelength of light emitted from an object appears to be shifted if the object is moving towards or away from the observer. By measuring the shift in the wavelength of light emitted by the remnant knot, scientists can calculate its velocity.

2. Why is it important to calculate the velocity of a supernova remnant knot?

Calculating the velocity of a supernova remnant knot is important because it provides valuable information about the explosion that created it. The velocity can reveal the energy and direction of the explosion, as well as the properties of the surrounding material. This can help scientists better understand the physics of supernova explosions and the evolution of the universe.

3. What tools and techniques are used to measure the velocity of a supernova remnant knot?

The velocity of a supernova remnant knot can be measured using spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted by the knot. This can be done using telescopes equipped with spectrographs, which can disperse the light into its component wavelengths. Other techniques, such as interferometry and radio observations, can also be used to measure the velocity of these knots.

4. Can the velocity of a supernova remnant knot change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a supernova remnant knot can change over time. This is because the knot is constantly interacting with the surrounding material, which can affect its speed. Additionally, the Doppler effect can also cause the measured velocity to change if the knot is moving towards or away from the observer.

5. How does the velocity of a supernova remnant knot compare to other astronomical objects?

The velocity of a supernova remnant knot can vary greatly, but it is typically much higher than the velocities of other astronomical objects, such as stars or galaxies. This is because supernovae are extremely energetic explosions that can propel material at very high speeds. The velocity of a supernova remnant knot can range from a few hundred to tens of thousands of kilometers per second.