1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superoxide and preoxide

1. Dec 6, 2005 #1
    why the size of superoxide is lager than preoxide??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

See this for a brief discussion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superoxide - but basically the superoxide radical O2- would produce a weaker bond than O22-. On the other hand superoxide only reacts/bonds with one cation (KO2), as opposed to two cations in the case of peroxide (e.g. H2O2).

4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    thanks a lots

5. Dec 6, 2005 #4
    what is the meaning of this statement??
    "On the other hand superoxide only reacts/bonds with one cation (KO2), as opposed to two cations in the case of peroxide (e.g. H2O2)."

6. Dec 8, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The number of atoms would also determine the 'size' of a molecule, in addition to the bond 'lengths'. I was thinking of the original question - "why the size of superoxide is larger than peroxide".

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6
    oxidation state of superoxide is -1/2, peroxide is -1. K and H are both +1 cations.

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7
    i see. I get your point, thanks~!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?