Superposition - basic question

In summary: I think I understand it now.In summary, the book argues that the probability of a physical quantity, like the position of a particle, is related to the eigenvalues of the wavefunction. The book presents a complicated argument that I was not able to follow. According to the argument, the probability of a physical quantity is equal to the sum of the probabilities of the eigenvalues of the wavefunction. I don't understand how this follows from the other things.
Nick R
Hello, I am brand new to this stuff and am trying to get my head around it all. I've spent considerable time trying to understand this from Landau's book on the subject (chapter 1 of course).

I bet I'd get more answers by being more brief but I always find that asking the problem carefully sometimes helps me understand the problem better.

A wavefunction, which completely describes the states of a quantum object, can be decomposed in terms of its eigenfunctions,

[tex]\psi = \sum_{n} a_{n}\psi_{n}[/tex]

Eigenvalues (maybe a physical quantity) correspond to the eigenfunctions by

[tex]\widehat{f}\psi_{n} = f_{n}\psi_{n}[/tex]

Where [tex]\widehat{f}[/tex] is the operator that corresponds to the quantity in question.

From this, we see that the value of [tex] a_{n}[/tex] for a given eigenfunction in the decomposition is (somehow) related to the "probability" that the physical quantity [tex]f[/tex] has the value [tex]f_{n}[/tex].

Given, is

[tex]\int |\psi_{n}(q)|^{2}dq = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]\int |\psi(q)|^{2}dq = 1[/tex]

How does it follow that [tex]|a_{n}|^{2}[/tex] is the probability of the physical quantity [tex]f[/tex] having the value [tex]f_{n}[/tex]? The reasoning presented in the book is not clear to me - it is a sort of deductive reasoning that seems like guesswork.

Of course if this is a probability then,

[tex]\sum |a_{n}|^{2} = 1[/tex]

I don't understand how this follows from the other things.

Here is why I am having a problem with this:

I can see it all works if the following is true:

[tex]\psi = a_{0}\psi_{0} + a_{1}\psi_{1} + ... + a_{n}\psi_{n}[/tex]

[tex]|\psi| = \sqrt{|a_{0}\psi_{0}|^{2} + |a_{1}\psi_{1}|^{2} + ... + |a_{n}\psi_{n}|^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int |\psi|^{2}dq = \int |a_{0}\psi_{0}|^{2}dq + \int |a_{1}\psi_{1}|^{2}dq + ... + \int |a_{n}\psi_{n}|^{2}dq[/tex]

[tex] = |a_{0}|^{2}\int |\psi_{0}|^{2}dq + |a_{1}|^{2}\int |\psi_{1}|^{2}dq + ... + |a_{n}|^{2}\int |\psi_{n}|^{2}dq[/tex]

Truth of this rests on the truth of two identities for complex numbers.

[tex]|(a+bi)(c+di)|^{2} = |a+bi|^{2}|c+di|^{2} IDENTITY ONE[/tex]
According to my calculations this is true.

[tex]|(a+c) + (b+d)i|^{2} = |a+bi|^{2} + |c+di|^{2} IDENTITY TWO[/tex]
According to my calculations this is false, unless there is a constraint [tex]2ac = -2bd[/tex].

What is going on here? Is there some sort of constraint?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your missing piece of information is that the [itex]\psi_n[/itex] are orthogonal, that is,

[tex]\int \psi^*_m(q) \psi_n(q) dq = 0[/tex]

for [itex]m \ne n[/itex].

This is what let's you go from

[tex]
\psi = a_{0}\psi_{0} + a_{1}\psi_{1} + ... + a_{n}\psi_{n}
[/tex]

to

[tex]
\int |\psi|^{2}dq = \int |a_{0}\psi_{0}|^{2}dq + \int |a_{1}\psi_{1}|^{2}dq + ... + \int |a_{n}\psi_{n}|^{2}dq
[/tex]

Thanks I think that makes a lot of sense.

Basically "cross terms" looking similar to

[tex]\psi^*_m(q) \psi_n(q)[/tex]

arise in the expression for [tex]|\psi|^{2}[/tex], and are eliminated when they are integrated, leaving only the terms looking like

[tex] \psi^*_n(q) \psi_n(q)[/tex]

Thanks a bunch.

1. What is superposition and how does it work?

Superposition is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time. This is because at a subatomic level, particles can behave as both waves and particles, allowing them to exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. How is superposition different from classical physics?

In classical physics, objects can only exist in one state or position at a time. Superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that allows for the coexistence of multiple states or positions.

3. What is the significance of superposition in quantum computing?

Superposition is the basis for quantum computing, as it allows for the creation of quantum bits (qubits) that can represent multiple states at once. This allows for exponentially faster processing and solving of complex problems compared to classical computers.

4. Can superposition be observed in everyday life?

No, superposition is only observed at the subatomic level and does not have any significant effects on macroscopic objects. It is a phenomenon that can only be observed and studied in laboratory settings using specialized equipment.

5. How does superposition relate to other principles in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is closely related to the principles of entanglement and interference, which also play important roles in quantum mechanics. All three principles are necessary for understanding and utilizing the power of quantum computing.