1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition circuit questionplease help out!

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine v0 for the circuit shown using the superposition principle( circuit diagram is attached to this post)

2. Relevant equations

v0= sum of voltages (is it?)

3. The attempt at a solution

Voltage due to 3A

Total resistance of the 10ohm resistor parallel to the 8 and 6 ohm resistor in series which is 35/6 ohms.

Either that or im totally wrong. It would really help if you could just show me one part of the sum, do one of the voltages for me so that I can figure it out and do the same for the rest. I don't really understand superposition that well. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2
    The superposition principle says that in a linear circuit, the output voltage or current due to all the voltage/current sources is the same as the sum of the outputs due to each voltage/current source alone, with the other voltage sources replaced by short circuits and the other current sources replaced by open circuits.

So what you have to do is calculate Vo due to the current source alone replacing the voltage source with a short circuit, then calculate Vo due to the voltage source alone replacing the current source by an open circuit, and finally make the sum of the two Vo's you calculated, to obtain the Vo due to both sources.
  4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    kool but i still dont get how to apply that to this circuit. Can you show a bit of the solution..maybe the first part. Cheers!
  5. Sep 19, 2007 #4
    Are you having difficulties calculating Vo due to the current source alone? Maybe it would be easier if you replaced the current source with it's equivalent voltage source.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?