1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition in Waves

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem that I cannot solve or find the right equation for. First off, I am told that there is a simple sinusoidal wave form that has a sound generator playing a frequency of 262 hz. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. I am asked to calculate the angular frequency, the period, wave number and the wavelength of the sound wave.

I need to use a software called maxima, it can be found on http://maxima.sourceforge.net and draw a graph representing where the x-axis is the position or the position value could be set and then the x-axis of the graph will represent time. To start the graph, an example of how to represent a standard x-y function is as such:
    wxplot2d(<expression>, <range>), an example is wxplot2d(sin(3*t), [t, 0, 5])

2. Relevant equations

D(x,t) = Asin(kx-(omega)t + (phase constant))
    I need to use a software called maxima, it can be found on http://maxima.sourceforge.net and draw a graph representing where the x-axis is the position or the position value could be set and then the x-axis of the graph will represent time. To start the graph, an example of how to represent a standard x-y function is as such:
    wxplot2d(<expression>, <range>), an example is wxplot2d(sin(3*t), [t, 0, 5])

3. The attempt at a solution
    Angular frequency = omega = 2pi(frequency) = 2pi(262)= 1646.19455
    Period = (1/T) = 1/262 = 0.0038167939
    Wave number = omega/velocity= 1646.19455/(343)= 4.79940102

I thought the way to do it was as such: wxplot2d(sin((4.79940102)x + (phase constant= 0 rad), [x, 0, 5]) and wxplot2d(sin(-(1646.19455)t + (phase constant), [t, 0. 5]))

PLEASEEEEE HELLLPPPP

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?