What is the thinnest film for strong reflection of visible light?

In summary, the problem is asking for the thinnest film that produces a strong reflection for visible light with a wavelength of 700nm. Using the formula d=(m-0.5)*(\lambda/2n), the thinnest film is calculated to be 140nm. However, this answer is incorrect and the correct approach involves using the Law of Refraction to calculate the wavelength in the film. This leads to a wavelength of 560nm in the oil film, which is reduced by a factor of 1.25 from the original wavelength of 700nm in air. Therefore, the thinnest film that produces a strong reflection for visible light with a wavelength of 700nm is 560nm.
nubey1

Homework Statement

A very thin oil film(n=1.25) floats on water(n=1.33). What is the thinnest film that produces a strong reflection for visible light with a wavelength of 700nm?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=(2nd)/(m-0.5)
d=(m-0.5)*([tex]\lambda[/tex]/2n)
thinnest film has m=1

The Attempt at a Solution

d=(0.5*700)/(2*1.25)=140nm
This answer is incorrect. Is there a problem in my technique?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me the film will just be a half wavelength thick so that light traveling through it to the water surface and back will be a full wavelength delayed and so will constructively interfere with waves reflected off the film surface.

Of course that will be in terms of the wavelength in the film, so you'll need a Law of Refraction formula that let's you computer the wavelength in the film.

I was not introduced to the law of refraction. I did look ahead in my physics book catch a glimpse of what it is about. This is my attempt at just hucking the formulas.
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=arcsin(n2/n1)=arcsin(1.25/1.33)=1.222
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]*[tex]\lambda[/tex]=1.222*700=855.5nm

Is this correct?

If I understand this correctly, it says the wavelength is 700 nm in AIR.
In the oil film the wavelength will be reduced by a factor of 1.25 to 560 nm.
The part of the law of refraction you need is that
[tex]\lambda1/[/tex] [tex]\lambda2 = n2/n1[/tex]
Use n1 = 1 for air, n2 = 1.25 for the oil.

What is superposition interference?

Superposition interference is a phenomenon in which two or more waves interact with each other and combine to form a resultant wave. This occurs because waves are able to pass through each other and overlap, resulting in the addition or cancellation of their amplitudes.

How does superposition interference occur?

Superposition interference occurs when two or more waves meet at the same point in space and time. The amplitude of the resultant wave at that point is equal to the sum of the amplitudes of the individual waves. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

What are some real-life examples of superposition interference?

Superposition interference can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the interference patterns formed by ocean waves, sound waves, and light waves. It can also be seen in man-made technologies, such as noise-cancelling headphones and radio antennas.

What are the practical applications of superposition interference?

Superposition interference has many practical applications, including in signal processing, imaging techniques, and telecommunications. It is also used in technologies such as ultrasound and radar to detect and analyze objects in their surroundings.

How does superposition interference relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, superposition interference is a fundamental principle that explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and their state is only determined when they are observed or measured. This concept has important implications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.