How can I find the superposition of two vectors with a phase shift of pi/4?

In summary, the particle will move in an ellipse with axis that are not aligned with the x-y axis, depending on the phase difference between the waves.
Kazza_765
I'm considering the superposition of 2 vectors.

[tex]E_x=E_1cos(wt)
E_y=E_2cos(wt+/pi/4)[/tex]

Trying to eliminate t. Its easy when the phase shift is 0 or pi/2 but I'm not sure how to go about it in this case. I can get Ey to be a function of cos(wt)-sin(wt), or cos(wt)sin(wt) just using trigonometric formulas, but I don't know where to go from there.

The end result should be an elipse with axis that are not aligned with the x-y axis. If its quite difficult then I won't worry about it. I just get the feeling that I've done this before and I should know it, but somethings not clicking. Thanks.

edit: For some reason the LATEX graphics don't appear for me. Just in case I put the formulas in wrong they should be:

Ex = E1 cos(wt)
Ey = E2 cos(wt + pi/4)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kazza_765 said:
I'm considering the superposition of 2 vectors.

[tex]E_x=E_1cos(wt)
E_y=E_2cos(wt+\pi/4)[/tex]

Trying to eliminate t. Its easy when the phase shift is 0 or pi/2 but I'm not sure how to go about it in this case. I can get Ey to be a function of cos(wt)-sin(wt), or cos(wt)sin(wt) just using trigonometric formulas, but I don't know where to go from there.

The end result should be an elipse with axis that are not aligned with the x-y axis. If its quite difficult then I won't worry about it. I just get the feeling that I've done this before and I should know it, but somethings not clicking. Thanks.edit: For some reason the LATEX graphics don't appear for me. Just in case I put the formulas in wrong they should be:

Ex = E1 cos(wt)
Ey = E2 cos(wt + pi/4)
How about [tex]E = \sqrt{E_x^2 + E_y^2} [/tex]?

As far as the latex problem, you have to use lower case for the tex and /tex commands.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
How about [tex]E = \sqrt{E_x^2 + E_y^2} [/tex]?

As far as the latex problem, you have to use lower case for the tex and /tex commands.

AM

Thanks for the reply, I don't think I was very clear about what I'm trying to do though.

If I have
[tex]E_x=E_1cos(wt)[/tex]

[tex]E_y=E_2cos(wt)[/tex]

then [tex]E_1y=E_2x[/tex] gives me my equation of motion for the particle.

If

[tex]E_y=E_2cos(wt + \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

then
[tex]E_y=-E_2sin(wt)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x^2}{E_1}+\frac{y^2}{E_2}=1 [/tex]

And the vector moves in an ellipse.

I'm not sure how to get the same sort of equation (ie. no dependence on t), or if its possible, for

[tex]E_y=E_2cos(wt+\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

[tex]E_y=\frac{E_2}{\sqrt{2}}(cos(wt)-sin(wt))[/tex]

[tex]E_y^2=-E_2^2(cos(wt)sin(wt))[/tex]

Not sure where I can go from here

Last edited:
There's a rotation [transformation] involved.
Complex numbers might simplify your calculation.

I'm sorry but I'm still not sure how to get there.

If I write it as,

[tex]E_x=E_1e^{iwt}[/tex]
[tex]E_y=E_2e^{iwt}e^{\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here.

I feel like its staring me right in the face. I know what the answer should look like. I know the transform should be along the lines of [cosA,-sinA;sinA,cosA] and I could probably work out A by playing with E1 and E2, but its just not falling into place for me. Maybe I'm just having a bad day, hopefully a good night's sleep will help.

Just for clarification, I'll explain the context in which I ask this question. For a uGrad assignment I have been asked to propose an exam question and provide a solution (The hard part about this assignment is thinking of a question that hasn't already been on previous exams).

Part of my question goes along the lines of:
Consider 2 EM waves, prpagating along the z axis, with angular frequency w and wave number k. Wave 1 has its E-field aligned with the x axis, wave 2 with the y axis. There is a relative phase difference of [tex]\phi[/tex] between them. Describe how the polarisation of the superposition of waves 1 & 2 varies in time.

For the case [tex]\phi=0[/tex] we have a plane wave with an E-field of magnitude [tex]\sqrt{E_1^2+E_2^2}[/tex]. For all [tex]0 < \phi < \pi[/tex] we should have an elliptically polarized plane wave, but I only know how to demonstrate this for the case where [tex]\phi=\frac{\pi}{2}.[/tex]

Nevermind. Worked it out. Just wasn't thinking yesterday.

1. What is the definition of superposition of 2 vectors?

The superposition of 2 vectors refers to the process of combining 2 vectors together to create a new vector. This is done by adding the corresponding components of each vector together.

2. What is the difference between superposition and addition of vectors?

The addition of vectors involves placing the tail of one vector at the tip of another and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first to the tip of the second. Superposition, on the other hand, involves adding the corresponding components of each vector together to create a new vector.

3. What happens when the vectors being superimposed are not in the same direction?

If the vectors are not in the same direction, their components will need to be broken down into horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal components will be added together and the vertical components will be added together to create the resulting vector.

4. Can we superimpose more than 2 vectors together?

Yes, we can superimpose any number of vectors together. The process remains the same - adding the corresponding components of each vector to create the resulting vector.

5. What is the significance of superposition of vectors in physics?

The concept of superposition is heavily used in physics, particularly in the study of forces and motion. It allows for the analysis and calculation of the resulting force when multiple forces are acting on an object, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.