1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of Electric Field(s) Generated by a moving particle?

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    I've just watch MIT open course 8.03, vibrations and waves, lecture 14, and think of a weird problem,

if a particle(with charge) in vacuum, say a proton or an electron, regardless of the size because of far-field consideration, like what's shown in the attachment, is moving along a straight line with a constant velocity [itex]v,[/itex]

assume the current time is [itex]t,[/itex] current position of the particle is [itex]P(t),[/itex] and a view point which is very far away from the particle's current position, so that the EM wave emitted at [itex]<t,P(t)>[/itex] has to travel for a non-ignorable time [itex]\triangle t[/itex] to reach my view point, and say the time when this EM wave reaches my view point will be [itex]T.[/itex]

Could anyone tell me, if there exist 1 or more points on the straight line, say [itex]P(t'),[/itex] that the EM wave emitted at [itex]<t',P(t')>[/itex] will also reach my view point at [itex]T.[/itex]

P.S. From my calculation, a point [itex]P(t')[/itex] satisfies that [itex]|P(t')-P(t)|=\frac{2 \cdot vR \cdot (c-v \cdot cos a)}{c^2-v^2},[/itex] by cosine law, the reason I don't trust this result is obvious:

From my calculation , there's only 1 such point that matches the requirement, but think of it recursively, if 1 such point is found, we can always find a new one based on the previous one with arguments [itex]<t,P(t), R, a>,[/itex] then the series have to be infinite.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted