Superposition of magnetic fields.

In summary, the magnetic field points in the same direction as the current running through the ring, and is parallel to each other.
Welshy

Homework Statement

Two co-axial, parallel, circular wires of radius R each carrying current I are placed a distance 2d apart. Find an expression for magnetic field B on the axis at distance e from the midpoint between the two loops up to and including terms of 0(e3).

Homework Equations

The field for one such loop was calculated to be:

B = (u0IR2)/(2(z2+R2)(3/2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how the superposition works at all. I've seen it in a few past papers and the method isn't in my notes or the course textbook. (Introduction to Electrodynamics, Griffiths)

Any help or hints on the method would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Superposition is nothing more than the ability to calculate the magnetic field due to either ring and then add them up together (vectorial). So the first thing you should do is put yourself a distance e from the midpoint. Express the distance to said point in terms of z,d,e for both loops. Then check the direction of the magnetic fields, do they amplify each other or weaken or is there an angle between the field lines etc.

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
Superposition is nothing more than the ability to calculate the magnetic field due to either ring and then add them up together (vectorial). So the first thing you should do is put yourself a distance e from the midpoint. Express the distance to said point in terms of z,d,e for both loops. Then check the direction of the magnetic fields, do they amplify each other or weaken or is there an angle between the field lines etc.

Hmm. What I get is:

B = (u0IR2cos(O)/((d2+e2+R2)(3/2))

where O is the angle between the (e to centre of coils) vector and the z axis and the B vector is in the z axis. I'm not sure if that's right because I don't see how that can be expanded to powers of e in any way.

Welshy said:
Find an expression for magnetic field B on the axis at distance e from the midpoint between the two loops up to and including terms of 0(e3).

From this I understand that the point e lies on the axis that goes through the center of both rings. Assuming this is the case I don't see how you get a cosine in your answer.

This is the configuration we are talking about as far as I can see.
.'''''''''''''''''''''''''''' .
|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|
|-----|--e---| ---------------------> (positive z-direction)
|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|
x''''''''''''''''''''''''''''x

the . is where the magnetic field comes out of the "paper" and the x is where the magnetic field goes into the "paper". I have assumed that both currents run in the same direction.

Now try to answer the following questions with regards to point e.:

Left ring
1)In what direction does the magnetic field point in point e?
2)What is the distance z from the center of the ring in point e?

Right ring
Same questions as for the left wing.

3)Do the fields of both rings point in the same direction in point e, are they parallel to each other?

Now enter the data in Bleft and Bright and add them together (vectorial).

Last edited:

1. What is superposition of magnetic fields?

The superposition of magnetic fields is the phenomenon where the magnetic fields of two or more sources combine to create a new, resulting magnetic field. This is similar to how waves in water combine to create a larger wave.

2. How does superposition of magnetic fields occur?

Superposition of magnetic fields occurs when two or more magnetic fields overlap in a given space. The resulting magnetic field is the vector sum of the individual magnetic fields at each point in the overlapping region.

3. What is the importance of understanding superposition of magnetic fields?

Understanding superposition of magnetic fields is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and technology. It allows for the prediction and manipulation of the resulting magnetic field, which has practical applications in areas such as electromagnetics, electronics, and magnetic data storage.

4. Can superposition of magnetic fields be observed in nature?

Yes, superposition of magnetic fields can be observed in nature. For example, the Earth's magnetic field is a result of the superposition of multiple magnetic fields from its core, mantle, and crust. Additionally, the interaction between the Earth's magnetic field and the Sun's magnetic field can result in phenomena such as the auroras.

5. Are there any limitations to superposition of magnetic fields?

While superposition of magnetic fields is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism, there are limitations to its application. For example, at very high energies or in the presence of strong electromagnetic fields, the principle of superposition may not hold true. Additionally, materials with nonlinear magnetic properties may not follow the principle of superposition.