Superposition of moments of Inertia

In summary, the problem involves determining the moment of inertia, I, of a system consisting of a thin rod with a uniform density spherical object attached to one end. The moment of inertia of the rod is given by 1/3 mL^2, while the moment of inertia of the sphere is 2/5 mr^2. The parallel axis contribution is also taken into account, resulting in the final equation of 1/3ML^2 + 2/5 M(1/6L)^2 + M(L)^2 for the moment of inertia of the rod plus mass system with respect to the pivot point. However, the answer may vary depending on how the rod and sphere are connected together.
Momentum09

Homework Statement

Consider a thin rod of length L which is pivoted at one end. A uniform density spherical object (whose mass is m and radius is r = 1/6L) is attached to the free end of the rod. The moment of inertia of the rod about an end if I = 1/3 mL^2. The moment of inertia of the sphere about its center of mass is I = 2/5 mr^2. Determine the moment of inertia, I, of the rod plus mass system with respect to the pivot point.

Homework Equations

I system = I rod + I sphere + parallel axis contribution

The Attempt at a Solution

1/3ML^2 + 2/5 M(1/6L)^2 + M(L+1/6L)^2

This is what I got, but is not quite right. Can someone please tell me what terms I left out? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of the sphere is at the end of the rod at distance L. So doesn't that make the parallel axis contribution of the sphere ML^2? Why the L/6 part?

because I thought that the radius 1/6L has to be added onto the length of the rod...

I guess it depends on whether you glue the sphere to the end of the rod or drill a hole in the sphere to attach the rod at the center of the sphere. Are there any pictures that might suggest which?

I think it's just connected end to end.

End to outside of sphere? Not end to center? Then I think you are right. Either answer could be correct depending on how you connect them.

1. What is superposition of moments of inertia?

The superposition of moments of inertia is a principle used in mechanics to calculate the total moment of inertia of a system. It states that the moment of inertia of a complex system can be found by adding the individual moments of inertia of its component parts.

2. How is superposition of moments of inertia used in engineering?

In engineering, superposition of moments of inertia is used to analyze the behavior of complex systems such as bridges, buildings, and machines. By breaking down the system into smaller components, engineers can calculate the total moment of inertia and use it to predict how the system will respond to external forces.

3. What are the units of moments of inertia?

Moments of inertia are typically measured in units of mass times distance squared, such as kg·m2 or lb·ft2. However, the units can vary depending on the shape and dimensions of the object being analyzed.

4. How is superposition of moments of inertia related to the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by adding the moment of inertia of the object's center of mass to the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation. This theorem is often used in conjunction with the superposition of moments of inertia to calculate the total moment of inertia of a system.

5. Can superposition of moments of inertia be applied to non-rigid bodies?

Superposition of moments of inertia can be applied to both rigid and non-rigid bodies. However, in the case of non-rigid bodies, the moments of inertia may change with respect to time and position, making the calculations more complex.