Superposition of states, spin 1/2

In summary, the conversation discusses two particles with spin 1/2 and a Hamiltonian of ##H=\gamma s_1 \cdot s_2##. At t=0, the state ##|\alpha(0)>## is discussed, and there is confusion about the correct result. The solution is found to be ##|\alpha(0)>=1/ \sqrt2 [|1,1; 1/2, 1/2> + 1/ \sqrt 2 (|1,0; 1/2, 1/2>+|0,0; 1/2, 1/2>)]##, which is a normalized state. There is further discussion about the result and clarification is
bznm

Homework Statement

Two particles, their spin are 1/2.

The hamiltonian is ##H=\gamma s_1 \cdot s_2##

At t=0, the state ##|\alpha(0)>## is such as ##s_{1z}|\alpha(0)>=\hbar/2 |\alpha(0)>## and ##s_{2z}|\alpha(0)>=\hbar/2 |\alpha(0)>##. Find the state ##|\alpha(0)>##.2. The attempt at a solution
I think that ##|\alpha(0)>=|1,1>## in the base of total angular momentum, i.e. |1/2, 1/2> in the other one. But the correct result seems to be ##|\alpha(0)>=1/ \sqrt2 [|1,1; 1/2, 1/2> + 1/ \sqrt 2 (|1,0; 1/2, 1/2>+|0,0; 1/2, 1/2>)]##.. what's wrong?

I used the following table:
pSdDYdr.png

Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
##|\alpha(0)>=1/ \sqrt2 [|1,1; 1/2, 1/2> + 1/ \sqrt 2 (|1,0; 1/2, 1/2>+|0,0; 1/2, 1/2>)]##.
I don't see why an unnormalized state should be the correct answer, besides which bases does it use on the RHS?

EDIT: No, I didn't pay a closer attention on the parentheses, yes this state is normalized.

Last edited:
I haven't undestood the result in the book. Can you explain me how you would solve this point?

I haven't understood why in the result appear the states |1,0;1/2,1/2> and |0,0;1/2,1/2>. They don't have s1z=1/2 AND s2z=1/2. They are linear combination of ##s_{1z}=\pm 1/2## AND ##s_{2z}=\pm 1/2##! :(

Did you post the complete question?

yes..

You are correct, the only state which is an eigenstate of both ##s_{1z}## and ##s_{2z}## with eigenvalues ##\hbar/2## is the state ##|\uparrow\rangle \otimes |\uparrow\rangle##.

thanks to all of you!

1. What is the superposition of states in spin 1/2?

The superposition of states in spin 1/2 refers to the quantum mechanical principle that a particle with spin 1/2 can exist in multiple states at the same time, with each state having a specific probability of being observed.

2. How is spin 1/2 measured in superposition of states?

Spin 1/2 is measured in superposition of states through the use of quantum mechanical operators, such as the Pauli spin matrices. These operators can determine the probability of observing a particular spin state at a given time.

3. What is the significance of spin 1/2 in superposition of states?

Spin 1/2 is significant in superposition of states because it is a quantum mechanical property that allows for the particle to exist in multiple states simultaneously, unlike classical particles which can only exist in one state at a time.

4. Can spin 1/2 be observed directly in superposition of states?

No, spin 1/2 cannot be observed directly in superposition of states. Instead, it can only be indirectly observed through the measurement of the particle's properties, such as its energy or momentum.

5. How does superposition of states in spin 1/2 differ from other quantum mechanical systems?

Superposition of states in spin 1/2 differs from other quantum mechanical systems because it involves a specific type of spin (1/2) and the particle can only have two possible spin states (up or down). Other quantum systems may have different spin values and a wider range of possible spin states.