1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of waves

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1

Figure on top:
    [tex]P_{1}= (1/16)W, P_{2}=1W, P_{3}= 16W[/tex], and I want to calculate how the intensity varies with [tex]\theta[/tex]

[tex]y(r,t) = y_{2}(r,t)[1 + 4e^{i(\phi_{3} - \phi_{2} + kdsin \theta} + \frac{1}{4} e^{i(\phi_{1} - \phi_{2} - kd sin \theta)}][/tex]

I understand how to proceed here, I just want to know how to determine whether it's + or - in front of [tex]\phi[/tex]s and [tex]kdsin \theta[/tex]

Bottom figure:

[tex]P_{1}=P_{2}=P_{3} = 10W[/tex], same problem.

[tex]y(r,t)=y_{1}(r,t)[1 + e^{i(\phi_{2} - \phi_{1} + kd cos \theta)} + e^{i(\phi_{3} - \phi_{1} + kd sin \theta)}][/tex]

Is it just me, or is there an incoherence here, as how to determine the signs? Both are from exam solution manuals at my university, so it should be correct.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I am having a hard to following the problem setup. Is this some sort of phased array? What is y2?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?