Analyzing Superposition of Waves with Different Phases

In summary: The amplitude sin(x)cos((1/12)*(2pi)) [at time (1/12)*(2pi)] vs position x graph would look something like this: The amplitude sin(x)cos((1/12)*(2pi)) [at time (1/12)*(2pi)] vs position x graph would look something like this:
hotmail590
How do I find the sum of these 2 waves, Asin(kx-wt) and Asin(kx+wt)?

I have no clue how to add 2 sins with diffent phases.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you re-express sin(kx+wt) using a trig identity?

Humm would I use this identity sin(A + B)= sinA cosB + cosA sinB

so Asin(kx-wt) = -AsinkxAcoswt -AcoskxAsinwt
Asin(kx+wt) = AsinkxAcoswt +AcoskxAsinwt

But wouldn't that equal to zero?

Your identity is fine.
Check your use of it. Check the signs you wrote down.

oh i saw where i made my mistake
the answer should be 2Asin(kx)cos(wt)?

Now after I get that how would I find the

ye(x), called the envelope, depends only on position

and yt(x) depends only on time

yt(x) should be a trigonometric function of unit amplitude.

I need to express ye(x) and yt(x) in terms of A k omega x and t.

Is there partial derviative involved?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
anyone please?

Look at the function and see what it means. You've separated the time and position variables. You could view the motion of each point as a function of time as an harmonic oscillator. (Some points don't move at all). Plot the function to see what it looks like. If you get some insight in the equation, the questions are very easy.

After finding the superposition forumla for Asin(kx-wt) and Asin(kx+wt), which is 2Asin(kx)cos(wt), How do I tell which direction is the wave traveling?

Plot your superposed function for t=0. Notice where the x-positions of the peaks are.
Plot your superposed function for (say) t=0.01. Notice where the x-positions of the peaks are now.
Which way did it shift? If 0.01 is too complicated, try t=(1/12)*(2*pi/w).
If it's not clear, try doubling the value of t you just used.

Humm from what i see, it seems that the wave its moving vertically, oscillating. Is that correct? I am not too sure how to graph these.

I graphed sin(x)cos(0.01) and then sin(x)cos((1/12)*(2pi))

Presumably, you understand the meaning of "which way the sin(kx-wt) part travels"... and likewise for the sin(kx+wt). It can be seen as the direction along the x-axis of the motion of a peak. Apply the same reasoning to the superposed wave. You've practically got it... You just have to give the answer in the form stated above.

The second expression is easy to plot a graph of
"amplitude sin(x)cos((1/12)*(2pi)) [at time (1/12)*(2pi)] vs position x".
Can you numerically evaluate cos((1/12)*(2pi)), where pi=[itex]\pi[/itex].

1. What is superposition of waves?

The superposition of waves is a phenomenon where two or more waves meet and combine to form a new wave. This new wave is the sum of the individual waves and can either have a larger amplitude (constructive interference) or a smaller amplitude (destructive interference) depending on the relative phases of the waves.

2. How does superposition affect the amplitudes of waves?

When waves superpose, the amplitudes of the individual waves are added together. If the waves are in phase (i.e. their crests and troughs align), they will constructively interfere and the resulting wave will have a larger amplitude. However, if the waves are out of phase, they will destructively interfere and the resulting wave will have a smaller amplitude.

3. Can superposition occur with different types of waves?

Yes, superposition can occur with any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. As long as the waves meet and overlap, they will superpose and form a new wave.

4. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet, their amplitudes are added together to form a new wave. This principle is a fundamental concept in wave theory and is used to explain many phenomena, such as interference and diffraction.

5. Can superposition be observed in everyday life?

Yes, superposition can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when two musical instruments play the same note, their sound waves will superpose and create a louder or softer sound depending on their relative phases. Superposition can also be seen when waves on the surface of water combine to form larger or smaller waves.