Finding Voltage at Point 2 Using Superposition Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding the voltage at point 2 using the superposition method. Two separate circuits were drawn, one with no voltage source and one with no current source, and analyzed using different methods. The final answer was found to be incorrect, but after receiving moderate assistance and realizing a mistake, the correct voltage was determined to be -2 volts. The conversation also touched on the difference between voltage dividers and current dividers.
Tekneek

Homework Statement

I have to find voltage at point 2 using superposition method. So, I drew one circuit with no voltage source and another with no current source, and then tried to analyze each one separately.

(On the picture starting from left, its 10 volts, then 10ohms, then at top 5 ohms, then 1 amp current source pointing down, then on far right 20 ohms)

The Attempt at a Solution

For No Voltage Source:

Using Node Voltage analysis at V2:
(V2-0)/5 + 1 + (V2-0)/20 = 0
V2= -4 Volts

For No current Source:

Using Voltage divider formula:
V2 = (5/(5+20))*10 = 2 Volts

Adding the two V2's i get V2 = -2, which i think is wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20140216_155716.jpg
    IMG_20140216_155716.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tekneek. This line doesn't look right ...

V2 = (5/(5+20))*10

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Tekneek. This line doesn't look right ...

For the no current source circuit isn't V1 10 volts? Then since 5ohms and 20ohms were in series i used the voltage divider formula. Also the 10 ohms resistor and 5+20 ohms are in parallel so they would have the same voltage (10v)?

Voltage divider works 'oppositely' to current divider.

Last edited:
FOIWATER said:
Voltage divider works 'oppositely' to current divider

What do you mean by that? Isn't the total voltage across the resistors in series divided?

The rules require I can only offer moderate assistance. Based on where you managed to get in this problem, I think you understand this but are simply not seeing it. Look at what I have attached

**edit that 30 should be a 20, my eyes are not good

Attachments

• voltage divider.png
    voltage divider.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 398
Likes 1 person
FOIWATER said:
The rules require I can only offer moderate assistance. Based on where you managed to get in this problem, I think you understand this but are simply not seeing it. Look at what I have attached

**edit that 30 should be a 20, my eyes are not good

Oh ok so V2 is the voltage across 20ohms resistor (for circuit with no current source). Thank You!

Yeah that should make sense looking at where you have placed the ground, right?

You're welcome, I am glad you came to that conclusion on your own as well!

1. What is the Superposition Principle?

The Superposition Principle is a concept in electrical engineering that states that the total response of a linear system to multiple inputs is equal to the sum of the responses to each individual input.

2. How does the Superposition Principle apply to electrical circuits?

In electrical circuits, the Superposition Principle allows us to analyze the behavior of the circuit by considering each individual input separately and then combining their effects to determine the overall response of the circuit.

3. What are the limitations of the Superposition Principle?

The Superposition Principle is only applicable to linear systems, meaning that the response of the system must be directly proportional to the input. It also does not take into account any nonlinear effects that may occur in a circuit.

4. How is the Superposition Principle used in practical applications?

The Superposition Principle is used in many practical applications in electrical engineering, such as in circuit analysis, signal processing, and control systems. It allows engineers to simplify complex systems and make accurate predictions about their behavior.

5. What are some other examples of the Superposition Principle outside of electrical engineering?

The Superposition Principle is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in other fields such as acoustics, optics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in other areas such as economics, where it is used to model the behavior of markets with multiple inputs.