Calculating Total Current in Circuit: Superposition Problem 2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total amount of current flowing through R3 in a given circuit. The individual provides a detailed explanation of their approach to solving the problem, including making certain components either a short or an open, and calculating the total current using the equivalent resistance formula. They also mention a potential error in the given answer and ask for clarification and recommendations for further practice.
shifty101uk
Find the total amount of current flowing through R3 in the circuit below.

I mainly have doubts whether the answer given in the book is correct, to me it doesn't seem correct. Heres my attempt anyway.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7584/superposition2iu4.png [Broken]

Make VS1 a short.

Rt = R1//(R2//(R3+R4)
(R1 is in parallel with R2 which is in parallel with the series combination of R3 and R4).

Rt = 680//(220//(330+470) = 680//(220//800) = 680//172.54 = 138.89ohms

Total current flowing from current source = 100mA

IR3 = Rt/(R3+R4) * IS = 139/800 * 100mA = 17mA

Current is flowing left to right over R3.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make IS an open as it is a current source.

Rt = R2 + ((R3+R4)//R1)
(R3 and R4 are in series, this combination is in parallel with R1, R2 is in series with the rest of the circuit.)

Rt = 220 + (800//680) = 587

It = Vs1/Rt = 20/587 = 0.034A or 34mA

IR3 = Rt / (R3+R4) * It = 587/800 * 0.034 = 0.025A or 25mA
(i chose R3+R4 as the current flowing through a series combination is the same.)

As the polarity of both sources is the same (current flowing in same directions). The total current across R3 = 42mA

If there are any errors could someone please indicate them to me, any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the back of the book says 1.6mA is flowing through R3, to me doesn't seem to make any sense.

Last edited:
A good way to cross-check your answer would be to write the two KCL equations for the two sides of R3, and solve for the voltages and the resulting R3 current. What answer do you get when you solve this with straight KCL equations?

shifty101uk said:
Find the total amount of current flowing through R3 in the circuit below.

I mainly have doubts whether the answer given in the book is correct, to me it doesn't seem correct. Heres my attempt anyway.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7584/superposition2iu4.png [Broken]

Make VS1 a short.

Rt = R1//(R2//(R3+R4)
(R1 is in parallel with R2 which is in parallel with the series combination of R3 and R4).

Rt = 680//(220//(330+470) = 680//(220//800) = 680//172.54 = 138.89ohms

Total current flowing from current source = 100mA

IR3 = Rt/(R3+R4) * IS = 139/800 * 100mA = 17mA

Current is flowing left to right over R3.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make IS an open as it is a current source.

Rt = R2 + ((R3+R4)//R1)
(R3 and R4 are in series, this combination is in parallel with R1, R2 is in series with the rest of the circuit.)

Rt = 220 + (800//680) = 587

It = Vs1/Rt = 20/587 = 0.034A or 34mA

IR3 = Rt / (R3+R4) * It = 587/800 * 0.034 = 0.025A or 25mA
(i chose R3+R4 as the current flowing through a series combination is the same.)

As the polarity of both sources is the same (current flowing in same directions). The total current across R3 = 42mA
If there are any errors could someone please indicate them to me, any help would be very much appreciated.

No, the polarity of Vs1 makes the current in R3 negative, so you must subtract the currents.
The rest of your reasoning is correct, so if did not make any mistake in the calculations, the answer should be -8mA.

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I right in assuming the 1.6mA is not the correct answer? I am fairly sure that my calculations are correct, I will have another look. Thank you SGT for your pointers on series parallel relationships, the final cog turned this morning! Does anyone have any recommended texts that mainly focus on problems and worked solutions? I have lots of theory books but not enough problems to work my way through.

What is the superposition problem 2?

The superposition problem 2 is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

How is superposition problem 2 different from superposition problem 1?

Superposition problem 2 is a more complex version of superposition problem 1, which only involves two states. Superposition problem 2 can involve multiple states and is often used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is an example of the superposition problem 2 in action?

One example of the superposition problem 2 is the famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. In this scenario, a cat is placed in a box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and releasing poison that will kill the cat. Until the box is opened and the cat is observed, according to quantum mechanics, the cat exists in a superposition of both alive and dead states.

Is superposition problem 2 a proven phenomenon?

Yes, superposition problem 2 is a well-established concept in quantum mechanics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

What are the practical applications of understanding superposition problem 2?

Understanding superposition problem 2 is crucial for the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computers, which use the principles of superposition to perform multiple calculations simultaneously. It also helps us better understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level, leading to advancements in fields such as medicine, materials science, and cryptography.