Superposition Proof: Understanding Angle of Sin

In summary, the sin and cos functions have arguments involving "x" and "t" respectively, which determine where the nodes and antinodes occur in a standing wave. The nodes are where the amplitude of the wave is zero and the amplitude is determined by the maximum value of the function, not the displacement.
Neon32
I don't get the first part. why did he make the angle of sin equal to n pi.

upload_2017-3-31_17-44-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-31_17-43-37.png
    upload_2017-3-31_17-43-37.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 698
Science news on Phys.org
A node is a location where the amplitude is zero. The sin function is zero when its argument is a multiple of π radians, nπ, where n = 0, 1, 2,...

In degrees, the sin is zero at 0, 180, 360, etc.

pixel said:
A node is a location where the amplitude is zero. The sin function is zero when its argument is a multiple of π radians, nπ, where n = 0, 1, 2,...

In degrees, the sin is zero at 0, 180, 360, etc.
Ok I understood this part but which one is the amplitude "Y" or "A"?

and can I take the angle of cos and make it equal to n pi/2 where n is odd number? It will also give me 0 in this case.

I probably shouldn't have used the word "amplitude" for y. y is the displacement for a given x,t, whereas the amplitude is the maximum value of y.

Those values of x that lead to the argument of sin being nπ will give y = 0 for all t. Will have to think about your question of setting the cos argument to nπ/2.

Neon32 said:
Ok I understood this part but which one is the amplitude "Y" or "A"?

and can I take the angle of cos and make it equal to n pi/2 where n is odd number? It will also give me 0 in this case.
An over view:
The argument of the sin includes an "x", leading to where (along the string) the function is zero.
The argument of the cos includes a "t" leading to when (in time) the function is zero.
The question related to where the nodes were, so work with the sin.
In a standing wave, even points of antinode are periodically at zero displacement - when that happens is found by playing with the cos function

PeterO said:
In a standing wave, even points of antinode are periodically at zero displacement - when that happens is found by playing with the cos function

That's shown in the simulation I referenced.

1. What is superposition proof?

Superposition proof is a mathematical method used to prove the relationships between angles in a geometric figure. It involves using the properties of triangles and the concept of superposition to show that two angles are equal or complementary.

2. How does superposition proof work?

Superposition proof works by breaking down a geometric figure into smaller parts and then using the properties of triangles to prove relationships between the angles in those parts. By creating congruent triangles and using the concept of superposition, we can show that angles are equal or complementary.

3. What is the angle of sine?

The angle of sine refers to the angle formed by a line segment and the x-axis in a graph showing the values of sine. It is measured in degrees or radians and is used to calculate the values of sine for different angles.

4. How is superposition proof related to the angle of sine?

The concept of superposition is closely related to the angle of sine because it is used to prove the relationships between angles in a geometric figure. By understanding the angle of sine and how it relates to the properties of triangles, we can use superposition proof to prove those relationships.

5. Why is understanding superposition proof and the angle of sine important?

Understanding superposition proof and the angle of sine is important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to prove relationships between angles and solve complex problems involving triangles and trigonometric functions. Additionally, it provides a foundation for understanding more advanced concepts in geometry and calculus.