1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Superposition (proof)

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    I don't get the first part. why did he make the angle of sin equal to n pi.

upload_2017-3-31_17-44-19.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2
    A node is a location where the amplitude is zero. The sin function is zero when its argument is a multiple of π radians, nπ, where n = 0, 1, 2,...

In degrees, the sin is zero at 0, 180, 360, etc.

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3
    Ok I understood this part but which one is the amplitude "Y" or "A"?

and can I take the angle of cos and make it equal to n pi/2 where n is odd number? It will also give me 0 in this case.

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4
    I probably shouldn't have used the word "amplitude" for y. y is the displacement for a given x,t, whereas the amplitude is the maximum value of y.

Those values of x that lead to the argument of sin being nπ will give y = 0 for all t. Will have to think about your question of setting the cos argument to nπ/2.

6. Mar 31, 2017 #5
    Okay, check out the section Two sine waves traveling in opposite directions create a standing wave at: http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/superposition/superposition.html

If the argument of the cos is nπ/2, then those values of t lead to y = 0 for all x. That is shown in the simulation on the referenced web page.

7. Apr 3, 2017 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

An over view:
    The argument of the sin includes an "x", leading to where (along the string) the function is zero.
    The argument of the cos includes a "t" leading to when (in time) the function is zero.
    The question related to where the nodes were, so work with the sin.
    In a standing wave, even points of antinode are periodically at zero displacement - when that happens is found by playing with the cos function

8. Apr 3, 2017 #7
    That's shown in the simulation I referenced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted