1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition waves

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two wave pulses on a string approach one another at the time t = 0, as shown in the figure below, except that pulse 2 is inverted so that it is a downward deflection of the string rather than an upward deflection. Each pulse moves with a speed of 1.0 m/s. Assume that the superposition principle holds for these waves, and that the absolute value of the height of each pulse is 1 mm in the figure below. Determine the value of the resultant wave at x = 4.1 m at t = 1.0 s, 2.0 s, 2.5 s, 3.0 s, and 4.0 s.

2. Relevant equations

None? o_o

3. The attempt at a solution

Sorry to bother everyone on the same day again, but everyone is just so helpful on this forum! :) This one makes my heart sad because I don't know how to find the slope of pulse 2, which is essentially a straight line. :(

The only solutions I didn't get were t = 2.0 s and 2.5 s. But I think if I understood how to do 2.0 s, then 2.5 would be manageable.

I understand the idea of superposition, but I don't know how to apply it, I guess. Ha ha. :'( My friend mentioned something about finding the slope of pulse 2 first, but I don't know how to do that. I think it's because I'm underthinking.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2
    The slope of pulse two may be found using the graph. You know the height and the width of the pulse.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?