Understanding the Superposition Theorem: Exploring Graphical Solutions

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the speaker is trying to understand the concept of superposition in solving a circuit problem. They have watched a video and read about the superposition theorem, but they are unsure of how to apply it graphically. They ask for help from someone who has watched the video, but the other person is not able to provide assistance without knowing the specific numerical values of the circuit. The speaker argues that they do not need numerical values to analyze the circuit, but the other person disagrees. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing frustration and the other person stating that there is no point in using a graphical representation if it cannot accurately represent the circuit.
Jhenrique
I'm trying solve this scheme:

attachment.php?attachmentid=70441&stc=1&d=1402248289.png

but not with the ideia of solve it but yes with the ideia of understand the dynamic of the thing...

aftwer watch this video:

and read about the superposition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_theorem

I did this scheme for solve the problem:
attachment.php?attachmentid=70470&stc=1&d=1402348364.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=70471&stc=1&d=1402348364.png

But, and now, how make the graphical superposition?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 621
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you start a second thread about the same problem?

dauto said:
Why did you start a second thread about the same problem?

The *same example*, but *different questions*. Here I'm asking about how to construct the equivalent superpostion from of two given. Can you help me?

Do what it says in Wikipedia. Replace all but one of the voltage sources with a short. Solve for the case of the solitary source. Repeat for the other source and then add the solutions together.

Born2bwire said:
Do what it says in Wikipedia. Replace all but one of the voltage sources with a short. Solve for the case of the solitary source. Repeat for the other source and then add the solutions together.

My friend, is not possbile to solve this problem cause it haven't none numerical value, the better interpretation possible is the which I drew and I'm asking how would the union those two drawings.

I have no idea what those drawings are trying to represent but any talk of their "union" is nonsensical. The circuit does not need numerical values to analyze. One could solve it explicitly for the unknown variables as messy as that would be. Actually, after a quick glance it is a simpler matter. In the first case, removing the source between BD results in shorting out R5 and R4, leaving you with a simple circuit of three resistors. Regretfully, the second case does not reduce the number of unknowns but it is a matter of bookkeeping.

You don't have ideia because you didn't watch the video... I don't want to solve the system, what I want is apply graphically the superposition principle!

Attachments

• imagem.PNG
    imagem.PNG
    77.6 KB · Views: 430
Jhenrique said:
You don't have ideia because you didn't watch the video... I don't want to solve the system, what I want is apply graphically the superposition principle!

This isn't useful. You do not know the nodal voltages without solving the circuit. Heck, there is no reason why you can't have negative voltages too. As such, you have no way of knowing what the relative voltage "heights" are. There is no point in using this representation outside of trying to explain voltage with the classic pressure analogy.

1. What is the Superposition Theorem?

The Superposition Theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the total response of a linear circuit is the sum of the individual responses to each independent source acting alone. This allows for a simplified graphical solution to complex circuits.

2. How does the Superposition Theorem work?

The Superposition Theorem works by breaking down a complex circuit into smaller sub-circuits, each with only one independent source active at a time. The responses of each sub-circuit can then be added together to determine the total response of the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using the Superposition Theorem?

Using the Superposition Theorem can simplify the analysis of complex circuits and make it easier to understand the behavior of the circuit. It also allows for a visual representation of the circuit, making it easier to identify and troubleshoot any potential issues.

4. Are there any limitations to the Superposition Theorem?

The Superposition Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must obey Ohm's Law. It also assumes that the response of each source is independent of the others, which may not always be the case in practical circuits.

5. How can I apply the Superposition Theorem in real-world scenarios?

The Superposition Theorem can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits in buildings, vehicles, and electronic devices. It can also be used in designing and troubleshooting circuits to ensure optimal performance.