1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supersonic plane at mach 3

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A supersonic plane flies at Mach 3 at an altitude of 20,000 m. A person on the ground sees the plane directly overhead. How much time passes the before she hears the sonic boom?

2. Relevant equations

f=fo(v+-vo/v-+vs)

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know how to start up with this one, I was hoping for some help here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The sonic boom is just a noise produced by the plane, which has to travel 20,000m to reach you.
    The answer would be the same if it was a helicopter hovering at 20000m then firing a really loud gun - or with a really big sound system playing AC-DC.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    So what equation do you suggest I can use to start up the problem?

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

You want to calculate the time taken for sound to travel 20000m. What equation do you think you need - it connects speed, time and distance?

You will need to know the speed of sound - and will probably have to make the assumption that it remains constant all the way from up there to down where you are!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook