Can vortex rings travel at supersonic speeds?

In summary, while it is possible for a vortex ring to reach supersonic speeds, its exact velocity and behavior are dependent on various factors and may be difficult to predict.
solaris123
After a bit of searching of scholarly text and investigations I have found myself unable to find the next piece of information.
Can there exist a vortex ring which travels at supersonic speeds? Not as in the airflow within the vortex ring, there was a paper I was able to acquire about that particular situation, but rather the vortex ring itself as it moves throught the air. I'm currently interested in this because I am studying the detonation of fuel-air mixtures vortex rings and I wanted to know if they could result in a supersonic ring.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible for a vortex ring to travel at supersonic speeds. This has been observed in various experiments involving the detonation of combustible gases, such as hydrogen and methane. However, the exact speed of the vortex ring is dependent on the initial conditions of the gas mixture, as well as the subsequent shockwave interactions with the surrounding atmosphere. Additionally, the structure of the vortex ring can be altered by the shockwave, resulting in a different shape and motion than expected. For these reasons, it is difficult to predict exactly how fast a vortex ring can travel.

1. What are supersonic vortex rings?

Supersonic vortex rings are circular patterns of rotating air that are created when a supersonic object travels through a fluid medium, such as air or water. They are a type of shock wave and are characterized by a toroidal shape and a high-speed, rotating flow.

2. How are supersonic vortex rings formed?

Supersonic vortex rings are formed when a supersonic object, such as a bullet or jet, pushes through a fluid medium at speeds faster than the speed of sound. This creates a shock wave that compresses the air and forms the circular vortex pattern.

3. What is the significance of supersonic vortex rings?

Supersonic vortex rings are important in the study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. They can provide insights into the behavior of shock waves and their effects on objects moving at supersonic speeds. They also have potential applications in propulsion and aerodynamic design.

4. How are supersonic vortex rings different from subsonic vortex rings?

The main difference between supersonic and subsonic vortex rings is the speed at which they are formed. Supersonic vortex rings are created when an object moves faster than the speed of sound, while subsonic vortex rings are formed at slower speeds. Additionally, supersonic vortex rings are more tightly wound and have a stronger shock wave compared to subsonic vortex rings.

5. Can supersonic vortex rings be controlled or manipulated?

While there have been some studies on how to control or manipulate supersonic vortex rings, it is still a complex and challenging task. Some techniques that have been explored include using secondary shock waves or using a moving surface to shape the vortex ring. However, more research is needed in this area to fully understand and control supersonic vortex rings.