1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supersonic water nozzle?

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    suppose we have a water reservoir with some pressure in it and a small hole through which the water exits. on the other side, there is just atmosphere.
    by increasing pressure on the "water side", the velocity of exiting water increases.
    what happens when pressure is large enough to propel the water stream at supersonic speed?

2. Relevant equations
    bernoulli's equation: (r = density; 1 - water tank, 2 - atmosphere)
    h1 + v12/2g + p1/rg = h2 + v22/2g + p2/rg

h1, h2 = 0 (at the same level)
    v1 = 0
    p1 = some high pressure
    p2 = 0

so

v22 = 2p1/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    according to this equation, it would be possible to achieve both supersonic speed in air and in water. i know though, that strange things happen at that speeds, but have no clue what exactly is going on.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

4. Jul 1, 2009 #3
    ok, then at which speed will this stop? 340 m/s (supersonic in air) or 1440 m/s (in water)?

5. Jul 2, 2009 #4

minger

Science Advisor

Well, if there is water being driven into air then there are a lot of other things at play. We refer to things like this as multiphase flow. However, if the fluid is contained all the way to the choke point, then I would assume that the fluid would reach the speed of sound for the liquid at that specific back pressure.

6. Jul 2, 2009 #5
    ok, i get it.
    thanks for replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook