How Does Supersymmetry Demystified Compare to Other Titles in the Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses various books related to Supersymmetry and their reviews. The participants have had mixed experiences with the Demystified series, with one book being considered useful and another being deemed useless. The author of the Supersymmetry book is a member of the Physics Forum. The conversation also mentions the technicality and length of Roger Penrose's book, The Road to Reality, and the availability of a preview of the book on Amazon.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you want a book that specifically relates to Supersymmetry because Roger Penrose's The Road to Reality is technical yet extremely detailed although it is 1136 pages long (It doesn't discuss Supersymmetry thoroughly but gives a detailed reservoir of ideas and information to understand it easier and with more intuition. I heard that Supersymmetry Demystified isn't written pleasantly, I'm sure there are other books that discuss Supersymmetry with more technicalities and description.

Kevin_Axion said:
I'm not sure if you want a book that specifically relates to Supersymmetry because Roger Penrose's The Road to Reality is technical yet extremely detailed although it is 1136 pages long (It doesn't discuss Supersymmetry thoroughly but gives a detailed reservoir of ideas and information to understand it easier and with more intuition. I heard that Supersymmetry Demystified isn't written pleasantly, I'm sure there are other books that discuss Supersymmetry with more technicalities and description.

I'm not looking for any SUSY book in particular right now, still chipping away Zee's QFT. So far I haven't had positive experience with the other Demystified series, so wondering if this book is good for intro, or if one shouldn't even bother with it.

waht said:
So far I haven't had positive experience with the other Demystified series, so wondering if this book is good for intro, or if one shouldn't even bother with it.
My experience with the Demystified series is limited to two books, QFT which is useless junk in my opinion, and SUSY which is not. The author of the SUSY book is a PF member.

Jimmy Snyder said:
My experience with the Demystified series is limited to two books, QFT which is useless junk in my opinion, and SUSY which is not. The author of the SUSY book is a PF member.

Kudos to the author. :smile:

I'll definitely consider it.

I do not know about the particular book but i own the quantum mechanics book of the series and i have to say that it wasn't demystifying at all. The author took many things for granted so it was quite confusing and difficuld to follow at least for someone who had no idea about the subject.

Where can one find a preview of the book to browse?

Amazon has the "look inside" feature.

1. What is supersymmetry and why is it important in physics?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes a symmetry between two types of fundamental particles: bosons and fermions. It is important because it can help explain some of the unanswered questions in the Standard Model of particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the existence of dark matter.

2. How does supersymmetry relate to string theory?

Supersymmetry is a key component of string theory, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature. In string theory, supersymmetry is necessary in order to maintain mathematical consistency and to solve some of the issues that arise in the theory.

3. Has supersymmetry been proven experimentally?

No, supersymmetry has not been proven experimentally. Despite many efforts to detect supersymmetric particles, no direct evidence has been found so far. However, some indirect evidence has been observed, such as the fact that the predicted mass of the Higgs boson is close to the value required by supersymmetry.

4. What are the potential implications of discovering supersymmetry?

If supersymmetry is discovered, it would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental particles and their interactions. It could also potentially explain the existence of dark matter and provide a framework for unifying all the fundamental forces of nature. Additionally, it could help solve some of the current mysteries in physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the origin of mass.

5. Are there any criticisms or challenges to the concept of supersymmetry?

Yes, there are some criticisms and challenges to supersymmetry. For example, some argue that the lack of evidence for supersymmetric particles could suggest that the theory is incorrect. Others point out that supersymmetry introduces many new, unobserved particles, which goes against the principle of simplicity in scientific theories.