1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supersymmetry in physics

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1
    Hello,

My first post in the forums so please excuse me if there is already a post on this (I couldn't find one).

I am not very technical in physics so can you please use simple language :shy: . I am not entirely sure on the concept of supersymmetry, I know stuff like partner of an electron is selectron and partners are always heavier, and the change of spin from an electron to a selectron is a half. The thing I am not very clear on is how/why they believe in this and also how can they predict the mass and the spin of the partners? I am assuming they just didn't randomly say selectron has 0 spin.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

4. Jul 30, 2005 #3

arivero

Gold Member

In short, it comes when you build supermultiples, in the same way that for instance isospin multiplets. Group theory stuff.

5. Jul 30, 2005 #4
    Ok thanks for the help :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?