Supersymmetry questions

• Thread starter Symbreak
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

These are questions for anyone who understands the modern theory of supersymmetry.

I have recently read some articles on supersymmetry and its capacity to unify the forces of nature, along with providing a better explanation on the arisal of the higgs mechanism.

Q1: Fermions and bosons are effectively governed by interchangeable laws. But if so, why don't bosons have antiparticles?

Q2: If antiparticles have supersymmetric partners, does this mean the asymmetry in matter-antimatter appplies for supersymmetric particles too?

Q3: Has there been any evidence for supersymmetry since 2000?

Answers and Replies

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Symbreak said:
These are questions for anyone who understands the modern theory of supersymmetry.

I have recently read some articles on supersymmetry and its capacity to unify the forces of nature, along with providing a better explanation on the arisal of the higgs mechanism.

Q1: Fermions and bosons are effectively governed by interchangeable laws. But if so, why don't bosons have antiparticles?
They do! The W+ and W- particles of electroweak theory are bosonic antiparticles, and every gluon has an antigluon. But it happens that bosons which are uncharged in both the electrical and color sense are their own antiparticle (this is just exactly like a quadratic equation having two equal roots). The Z0 and photon are the examples of this.

Q2: If antiparticles have supersymmetric partners, does this mean the asymmetry in matter-antimatter appplies for supersymmetric particles too?
Not sure what you mean here, but yes, I believe there is a positive and negative wino (fermionic superpartner of a W boson), and they would be antiparticles. If i'm telling wrong, someone correct me!

Q3: Has there been any evidence for supersymmetry since 2000?
Repeated adjustments to the measured mass of the top quark has caused a dramatic narrowing of the window of "reasonable expected masses" of supersymmetric particles at available collider energies. This means that people who do supersymmetric extensions of the standard model have to indulge in some unwelcome fine tuning to fit their models to observation. No supersymmetric partner particle has ever been observed. Winos were one of the candidates for dark matter.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
They do! The W+ and W- particles of electroweak theory are bosonic antiparticles, and every gluon has an antigluon. But it happens that bosons which are uncharged in both the electrical and color sense are their own antiparticle (this is just exactly like a quadratic equation having two equal roots). The Z0 and photon are the examples of this.

Not sure what you mean here, but yes, I believe there is a positive and negative wino (fermionic superpartner of a W boson), and they would be antiparticles. If i'm telling wrong, someone correct me!

Repeated adjustments to the measured mass of the top quark has caused a dramatic narrowing of the window of "reasonable expected masses" of supersymmetric particles at available collider energies. This means that people who do supersymmetric extensions of the standard model have to indulge in some unwelcome fine tuning to fit their models to observation. No supersymmetric partner particle has ever been observed. Winos were one of the candidates for dark matter.
how about neutralinos?