Supplement to Advanced Calculus

In summary, The speaker has changed their major to math and is starting their third semester with courses in Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, and Literature. They are using Mike Artin's book for Algebra and Loomis and Stenberg's book for Calculus. While Loomis and Stenberg may be dry and not as user-friendly, it is recommended for learning analysis. For a more intuitive understanding of Calculus, the speaker suggests supplementing with a book like Calculus: Early Transcendentals by James Stewart.
romerito
Hello, Things have gone pretty well, I changed my major to math (used to be physics) and I am starting third semester in 10 days. Ill be taking Linear Algebra 2, Abstract Algebra 1 and Multivariable Calculus, plus 2 courses in Literature and one on Nietzsche and Foucault.
So, I am studyng Mike Artins book on Algebra (course uses Fraleight I think) and for LA I hope what I get from Artin is enough (course uses Friedberg et al), since the bulk of the work this semester will be coming from Calc 3, for the theoretical stuff I am going with Loomis & Stenberg Advanced Calculus, which i already started working, I had heard it was a really dry and not so friendly book, but right now Ill thorughly recommended it to anyone wanting to learn some good analysis, the authors really try hard in teaching the topic. Anyway, of course the course doenst require me to learn from this book, its just the common Calc 3 which uses Stewart, so Ill be needing an intuitive book on the subject too, since I already checked the course webpage and I can't do most of the exercises (make that none) So the question will be, what will you recommend to complement Loomis Stenberg? Or any book you want to throw in the mix will be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
! I would recommend supplementing your Loomis and Stenberg book with a book like Calculus: Early Transcendentals by James Stewart. This book is more intuitive and accessible than the Loomis and Stenberg book, and will help you understand the basic concepts of calculus. It also contains a wealth of examples and exercises that you can use to check your understanding of the material. Additionally, if you're looking for more advanced topics, it has a chapter on multivariable calculus, which is a great way to get introduced to the material.

1. What is the purpose of a Supplement to Advanced Calculus?

A Supplement to Advanced Calculus is designed to provide additional resources and practice for students who are currently taking or have completed an advanced calculus course. It may cover topics that were not fully explored in the main course or offer more in-depth explanations and examples to enhance understanding.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Supplement to Advanced Calculus?

The specific topics covered in a Supplement to Advanced Calculus may vary, but they often include advanced concepts in differential and integral calculus, multivariable calculus, and vector calculus. Other topics such as complex analysis, Fourier analysis, and differential equations may also be included.

3. Is a Supplement to Advanced Calculus necessary for success in advanced math courses?

While a Supplement to Advanced Calculus is not always required, it can be extremely beneficial for students who want to deepen their understanding and improve their skills in advanced calculus. It can also be helpful for students who struggled with certain concepts in the main course and want additional practice and explanations.

4. Are there any prerequisites for a Supplement to Advanced Calculus?

Most supplements to advanced calculus assume a solid understanding of basic calculus concepts, including limits, derivatives, and integrals. Some may also require knowledge of linear algebra and differential equations. It is important to check the specific requirements of the supplement before beginning to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge.

5. How can I make the most out of a Supplement to Advanced Calculus?

To get the most out of a Supplement to Advanced Calculus, it is important to actively engage with the material. This may involve completing practice problems, working through examples, and seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor when needed. It is also helpful to review and reinforce concepts from the main course while using the supplement.