Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supplement to spivak's calc on manifolds

1. May 9, 2005 #1
    so i checked out Spivak's calculus on manifolds today, to work on while i'm in colorado this summer. i just finished up this semester with calc3 (multivariable), and i've take matrix theory and linear algebra as well. should I be good to go on this book at this point? I'd like to know since I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and therefore lose my access to the university library.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2
    i have never seen that book but generally I think if you're comfortable (ie seen it before) with the stuff in the first chapter or 2 it would be 'safe' to try to work on it.
  4. May 10, 2005 #3
    yeah, right after i posted that, i started up at the beginning. i think i'm good to give it a go, but, it looks like it's going to be a bit tough.
  5. May 10, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In my course, they suggested that we look at Munkres' "Analysis on Manifolds" as well (whereas Spivak's book was the main book).
  6. May 10, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the only technical prerequisite for spivak is linear algebra, and logic, and one variable calc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?