Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Support Bush OR ELSE!

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    Full Story http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-allsaints7nov07,0,6769876.story?coll=la-home-headlines

I found this amusing since Bush OWES his re-election to the INTERVENTION OF CHURCHES.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2
    This is ridiculous. Techniquely, you're intervening by teaching political neutrality, are they going to attack my church as well? We might convert some Bush-supporters and cause them not to vote, thereby having an effect on their campaign.

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One sermon eh. Incredible.

5. Nov 11, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wonder what the newspaper article was....

6. Nov 11, 2005 #5
    Writing an article, or giving a sermon is not the same as buying an advertisement.

7. Nov 11, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Sounds like you know what the article/possible candidate endorsement was. Please share.

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7
    I don't know what the article is although I am sure you can find it if you are really interested.

I was simply pointing out that the Binghampton NY church was running newspaper ads, against Clinton, ie spending tax exampt money for political advertising. Writing an op-ed article, or preaching a sermon is quite different.

9. Nov 11, 2005 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Explicitly endorsing a candidate or denouncing one from the pulpit could cross the line.

Criticizing a policy matter, which in the case of the Episcopal Church, is somewhat in a grey area. The issue then is how specific the criticism is.

One could denouce war in general, which would be fine, but denouncing the Iraq war with an explicit reference to the president who is running for re-election could be considered a condemnation or political criticism of the candidate, in this case Bush.

If the IRS decides to revoke tax-exempt status, this case could go to the Supreme court.

It would be interesting to see if the IRS is selectively targeting 'Liberal' churches who criticize the administrations policy, while ignoring 'fundamentalist' churches who support the administration.

So much for separation of church and state. :rolleyes:

10. Nov 11, 2005 #9
    I wonder if the church whose pastor told the congregation that that they would go to hell if they voted for kerry is being investigated?

11. Nov 11, 2005 #10
    Right, if a church preaches peace and love, that would be expected. It would be nice to see churches return to religious topics in tending to the spiritual health of their flocks instead of trying to govern our country.
    I think the pastor stepped down.

12. Nov 11, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard from a very conservative friend that two of the three churches she goes to continuously held anti-liberal and pro-Bush sermons for most of the month leading up to the last election. This is quite common throughout the country, I'm told.

13. Nov 11, 2005 #12

SOS2008

Gold Member

Yes it was, as well as email distributions, meetings at locations other than church property, etc. to avoid IRS investigation. I hope people will report these kinds of activities going forward.

14. Nov 11, 2005 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'll take the OR ELSE! Thank you very much. :biggrin:

15. Nov 11, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You are assuming it was an opinion peace or a sermon. Please, the article.

16. Nov 11, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

But... do they have tax-exemption?

17. Nov 11, 2005 #16

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Nov 11, 2005 #17
    Payback time

This whole issue is about "getting even". Liberals complained to the IRS about Jerry falwell and others of his ilk, using church funds to promote GW's re-election.

http://www.au.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6875&abbr=cs_

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  19. Nov 11, 2005 #18

SOS2008

Gold Member

I agree one had to look far and wide to find this case in comparison to the rampant endorsements of Bush from the pulpit. Nonetheless, I believe in separation of church and state--no exception.

20. Nov 11, 2005 #19
    I agree, if they violated the law they should lose their tax-exempt status.

They seem confident though, since they declined an offer to just admit they were wrong without losing their status.

21. Nov 12, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would think so, but I'm not sure about two of the three. I do know that one of these three churches is the World Harvest Church - which is a really huge church that is frequented by ...ummm celebrities.... like Benny Hinn, and I just found out that it is tax exempt.

I Googled "world harvest church tax exempt" and found this blog entry :

That entry also linked to this USA Today article :

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-08-02-christian-cover_x.htm

and this article from the Cleveland Jewish News :

Other speakers at the church (this year) include Ann Coulter and Allen Keyes. Some memorable words from Coulter during her Q&A session at the Wolrd Harvest Church (from the Ohio Free Press, June 20, 2005):

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?