Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Support India's Civilian Nuclear Program ?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Neutral (either way is fine by me)

4. Undecided/other

0 vote(s)
  1. Oct 27, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you support the United States' policy to help India's civilian nuclear energy program ? Why, or why not ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2

Gold Member

I believe every country deserves to have a nuclear energy. What the United States and Russia have been doing - building up fission bombs and ICBMs is the dumbest thing in the history of mankind. We should've replaced fossil energy by nuclear plants long time ago, like they did in France.
  4. Oct 27, 2005 #3
    I voted no... But I think I shouldnt have.. I dissaggree with the US ONLY helping India and not for example Pakistain.. But I dont dissaggree with them helping India
  5. Oct 27, 2005 #4
    I voted no.

Until we solve the waste disposal and materials proliferation problems we should not be building more nuclear plants.
  6. Oct 27, 2005 #5
    Yes, help India, help Pakistan, help Iran, help China to double check leakage, help all those who raise their hands.:smile:
  7. Oct 28, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

Well India has done well on its own. India has developed fuel using the thorium cycle which is probably of interest to the US.

It may actually be a ploy to prevent Russia and China from getting involved.

I can't imagine the U.S. being able to supply any technology that is not readily available from elsewhere.

In fact, the US nuclear technology suppliers are largely under control of foreign corporations - BNFL (Westinghouse, and former ABB-Combusion Engineering), and Framatome (BWFC and Siemens ANP (fromerly Exxon Nuclear)). GE is involved in a partnership with Hitachi and Toshiba. BNFL may divest itself of Westinghouse, ostensibly to a US-based organization.

From a practical side, the Russian VVER fuel design is very effective for thorium fuel.
  8. Oct 28, 2005 #7

Gold Member

I vote yes because think about how much pollution you'd create to create energy for the 480 trillion people that live in India.

Yes i said trillion and yes i am joking (not about the poll decisiont hough)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?