Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Support our troops for america

1. Mar 17, 2003 #1

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Support our troops for america....

Yay! i am the first to post in this forum...and i want to start it out right and clean ( is that possible when the word politics is concerned? )...

anyway, i hear a lot of people bad mouthing the american president about the possibility of war, here in hippie land (that would be orygun) there are many marches for peace...yet i don't see the same loud support for our troops that are away from home, their families, sleeping on the floors/sand/ground etc, away from any communication source to call their wife, their children...

so here's food for thought...instead of protesting how our government is making choices, lend some care, compassion and support to the men and women who are sacrificing by sending letters, care packages, pictures and words of love and support for the tremendous courage they have for being on the forefront of this nation's security...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2003 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

you bet kerrie, even though I have a few friends stationed in the middle east I still support the war. we can't sit and wait for another act of terrorism. I just hope it can be quick, successful and with minimal loss.

4. Mar 17, 2003 #3
    I would change one word of that...'instead' to 'also'. You can supprt the troops and protest at the same time!

5. Mar 17, 2003 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

my best friend's husband had a few months to go before he was free and clear of the marine reserves...he just finished his bachelor's at PSU, and just proposed to my best friend and they planned to marry this november...i guess i get a little irritated of those who are so busy critisizing our governement more then they mention that we have real people who are in the middle east dealing with this reality that we are just reading and hearing about via the media...

while i realize that our government has some faults, to me it is more important to support those who are facing one of the most real human experiences that has ravaged our planet for years, and that is war...

6. Mar 17, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to say, I don't support the war and especially not the way that it is being declared. I should've written down the number of contradictions that people speak in a single sentence.. let's make peace by going to war.. they are a threat to our country so let's attack them first.. a mother with a 3 month old child at the front line.. a father with a newborn undergoing a heart transplant at the front line.. a little too eager in my opinion.

Sorry to taint your well meant thread Kerrie, so are American required under penalty to go to war? That would make me understand your thread better.

And Greg, I really don't think that this is going to be quick as advertised by Bush.. just think of all the counter actions that will follow.. when you give the first strike, you sure can expect to be hit back, hard.

7. Mar 17, 2003 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

monique~

if one joins the military reserves, they are pledging a promise to serve our country shall war be at hand...or they go to jail...but those who join the reserves usually do so to help with college, or just to better themselves...my fiance has just a couple more weeks to go until he is free and clear of the army reserves calling him up, and we are waiting it out patiently...chances are he won't, but anything is possible...

my issue was not in support of any war....just for those who wonder, i am against war, but as it is obvious, it is not up to us citizens of america to choose the fate of our country, but rather the very few who hold the most power of this country...

i am advocating, that regardless of what you believe (war or no war), we need to support those who are dealing with this reality at the very front-our troops-they were called up to leave their homes and it is for them we need to give our loud support for because of what they are sacrificing...

8. Mar 17, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Kerrie, thanks for clarifying that. There is a big difference in supporting the fighting troops (when I oppose war) if they themselves believe in a war or not. The dutch army is a professional one, from your post I am not yet clear whether the American army is a professional one or are people over the age of 18 (or 21?) summoned to report when troops are needed?

9. Mar 17, 2003 #8

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

we call it the draft when young men are called (regardless of their enrollment into the military) to serve our country as troops...our military (currently) is entirely voluntary, and there are many perks to serving our country, such as health care, college money, and help with buying a first home...

10. Mar 17, 2003 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So during such a draft they are free to deny serving the military or will there be actions taken against them if they do (just curious to know).

11. Mar 17, 2003 #10

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

the draft is far from voluntary...if a young man is drafted, he is going into the military whether he likes it or not, otherwise he faces jail time...my dad (being the hippie that he was and is) fled to canada when the draft started calling his friends...he was never called while in canada, but shortly after coming home he was sent the dreaded letter of the obligation to serve his counrtry...

i believe that the draft is outlawed here in america...someone correct me if i am wrong...

one may say "if you oppose war, don't join the military", but those who join are typically just starting out adulthood and the military provides direction (at least it is suppossed to)...a lot of times, the possibility of war doesn't seem that near...

12. Mar 17, 2003 #11

FZ+

Let's try and get a consensus here.
    Though we all may nor may not belief that war is the right course of action, that responsibility lies with the administration in charge. Though we may or may not support the actual war, we fully support those soldiers who feel that they are doing their duty for the nation, and wish them luck in whatever endeavor they do. We have the greatest respect for these men, indeed, all men who are so prepared to lay down their lives, and trust in their capabilities. We may not agree that these capabilities should be used, but we may be anti-war, not anti those who simply do their duty.

Agreed?

13. Mar 17, 2003 #12

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I diagree, there is no reason for the US to wait. I expect a move as early as late wednesday.

14. Mar 18, 2003 #13
    I support the war, I know many actives who likewise support it. That is, as has been pointed out, neither here nor there at this point.

We are committed now. Either you support it or you don't.

No disrespect, but saying you support the soldiers but not the war is like saying you support the furnace operator but not the extermination of Jews. With such an attitude, you could not but despise the forces of Hussein who surrender offhand, while respecting those who kill our own troops.

Taking orders is not an excuse for destroying life. It is a personal act, justified by the intention alone. Courage and honor - not duty - drive the soldier.

Protesting the war is protesting the mechanism of that war - the soldier - especially since every soul over there is there by choice. There is no draft.

To me, saying "I protest the war but honor the soldier" is asinine, a politically correct statement that sounds good but signifies nothing. You don't laude the engineer by telling him his building sucks! You don't hail the manufacturer by telling him his automoblile is trash. You don't applaude the baker by telling him his loaf is foul.

You dont uphold the soldier by telling him his war is unjust.

15. Mar 18, 2003 #14
    I think that's a bold statement to make. A lot of the younger people in the military are doing so for the reasons Kerrie stated - money for college, stability, direction etc. I would not claim this is the majority as I have no real statistics but I should remind you that you don't either. It's awfully idealistic to assume all people join the military with such lofty goals. Are they courageous an honorable in the right situation? I'm sure. But I think a lot of them do it strictly because of duty.

16. Mar 18, 2003 #15
    LOL

You left out the part about not wanting to get shot.

17. Mar 18, 2003 #16
    I was in the Marines...most folks were there for the college money. Duty was important, and courage isn't even a factor.

18. Mar 18, 2003 #17
    Romania supports 100% the US...
    Unfortunately we hurry too much to show our support...
    For example Turkey requested 30 billion $(!!!) for economical growth to permit their air-space to be used...
    Us...romanians...requested nothing...and what will we receive ?
    Maybe some anthrax...
    I have nothing to argue to this war...but history is repeating...
    Have you read "Dune", by Frank Herbert ? Do you see the similarities ? spice->oil;...so on...
    minimal loss..the road to hell is...(don't know the word) with good intentions...and because of this war it will be hell here on earth...
    Let's hope Shaddam will have the wisdom to leave Iraq...because we are on the edge of the abys...
    God bless America and its allies...

19. Mar 18, 2003 #18

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

seems to me ganshauk that you could be a recruiter for the U.S. Miltary...as this comment is the ideal for which the military promotes, but the ideal and realistic world are two different things...most young "courageous and honorable" people join the armed forces for reasons that are more practical and beneficial to them on the individual level over the collective level of defending our country...

20. Mar 18, 2003 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

O...M..G..!! I just cannot believe what you are saying!!! I just cannot believe it.. Ganshauk made some good comments.. Where to begin, let's just say that you are supporting the whole thing you are fighting against. Iraqi people supporting Saddam Hussein, not questioning him since he is the leader and he means the best for his country. You guys are unbelievable, no offence

And Bogdan, why do you think that Romania supports Bush 100%? Could it have anything to do with just being accepted to Nato?

21. Mar 18, 2003 #20
    Nope...
    Romanians are very unsure of them...We can be good friends...we forget many things...
    Unfortunately we don't know how to make ourselfes more "pretious", more wanted...to impose conditions and to win strategic advantages...
    We are too friendly...
    Actually, romanians don't support US 100%...not all the people...
    We...for example...have ruined our relationship with the other countries in europe (France...neighbours...) for so many times...(for example the war in Yugoslavia...we helped the USA and turned our back to our old friends the yugoslavs...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?