Suppose that the function T has period 7 and that T(0)=3

In summary, the function T has a period of 7 and T(0)=3. This means that T(x) will repeat every 7 units, so T(-30)=T(40). The concept of period means that for any value "a", T(a)=T(a+7) and T(a+14) and so on. It is important to understand this concept when solving problems involving periodic equations.
ludi_srbin
Suppose that the function T has period 7 and that T(0)=3.

Explain why T(-30)=T(40)?

Is it normal that teacher just tells you to read stuff in book and then do your homework, without explaining it? She was "teaching" some stupid stuff about graphing f(x)=(x-1)^2 + 2, which they teach you in Alg I and then gives you questions about periodic equations. Last two days one girl and me were the only ones to be able to do the homework. :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
If a function has a period, that means it repeats. Since the period is seven, that means that T(0)=T(7)=T(14)=... and that T(1)=T(8)=T(15)=... In general it means that whatever value the function has at "a", it will have the same value at "a+7", "a+14", and so on. Do you see the solution now?

What's the meaning of period? If the period is 7 (as given), what can you say about T(x) compared to T(x +7)?

I understand that every 7 the function repeats. But if I go 7 in positive and 7 in negative direction then I should have T(40)=T(-40) or T(30)=T(-30). Or am I missing something?

O damn. I got it. My bad. Thanks for help.

You're missing something. Complete this list:
T(-30) = T(-30 + 7) [which is T(-23)] = T(-23 +7) ... and so on...

Shame on me. I calculated that there are 50 numbers between -30 and 40. I guess I'm to pised off.

Last I checked 40-(-30)= 70 which is a pretty obvious multiple of 7!

1. What does it mean for a function to have a period of 7?

A function with a period of 7 means that it repeats itself every 7 units on the x-axis. This means that for any x value, T(x) will have the same value as T(x+7).

2. How is the period related to the graph of the function?

The period of a function is related to the graph by the spacing of the repeated patterns. In this case, the graph of T will repeat itself every 7 units on the x-axis.

3. What is the significance of T(0)=3 in this scenario?

T(0)=3 means that when x=0, the function T has a value of 3. This gives us a starting point for the graph and allows us to determine the values of T for other x values based on the period of 7.

4. How can we find the values of T for other x values?

Since we know that T repeats itself every 7 units on the x-axis, we can find the value of T for any x value by finding its remainder when divided by 7. For example, T(8) would have the same value as T(1) because 8 divided by 7 has a remainder of 1.

5. Is it possible for a function to have a period and a different value for T(0)?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a period and a different value for T(0). The period only determines the spacing of the repeated patterns, while the value of T(0) can be any number. For example, a function with a period of 7 could have a value of T(0)=5, and it would still repeat itself every 7 units on the x-axis.