Proving Suprema & Infima: Showing Sub B is an Upper Bound of A

• Thread starter lokisapocalypse
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if sup A < sup B, then there exists an element in B that is an upper bound of A. The conversation proposes a proof by contradiction and suggests to consider finding two sets A and B where no such element exists, but it is ultimately concluded that this is impossible.
lokisapocalypse
I need to show that if sup A < sup B, then there is an element in B that is an upper bound of A.

Well I know that if sup B is in B, then sub B is the element in B that is an upper bound of A. But I don't know how to show this is true if sup B is not in B.

Physics news on Phys.org
You try a proof by contradiction?

You need to prove simply that [itex]\exists b \in B[/itex] such that [itex]\sup A \leq b \leq \sup B[/itex]. Assume not: then [itex]\sup A[/itex] is an upper bound of B, which contradicts the fact that [itex]\sup A < \sup B[/itex], and you're done.

AKG--

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. What you say makes sense but that doesn't prove that such a b exists. Or does it and I just don't get it which is equally as possible.

Suppose b doesn't exist. Can you prove a contradiction? (such as sup A = sup B)

But what about the case where sup B is not in B? Then I don't think I can get that contradiction.

Then, try to find two sets A and B where b doesn't exist, but sup A < sup B!

We're lucky, we already know this will be impossible, but it still might give you insight.

(As always, it often helps to write out what the definitions say too)

Okay solid. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of a supremum and infimum?

A supremum (or least upper bound) of a set A is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in A. An infimum (or greatest lower bound) of a set A is the largest number that is less than or equal to all elements in A.

2. How do you prove that a number is the supremum or infimum of a set?

To prove that a number is the supremum of a set A, you must show that it is an upper bound of A and that it is the smallest such upper bound. Similarly, to prove that a number is the infimum of a set A, you must show that it is a lower bound of A and that it is the largest such lower bound.

3. What is the difference between a supremum and a maximum?

A supremum is the smallest upper bound of a set, while a maximum is the largest element in the set. Not all sets have a maximum, but every set that has a supremum also has a maximum (which may be the same as the supremum).

4. Can a set have more than one supremum or infimum?

No, a set can only have one supremum and one infimum. If a set has more than one supremum (or infimum), then those numbers are equal to each other.

5. How does proving a number as an upper bound of a set relate to the concept of completeness?

The concept of completeness states that all nonempty sets of real numbers that are bounded above have a supremum. Thus, by proving a number as an upper bound of a set, we are showing that the set is bounded above and that the number is the smallest such upper bound, satisfying the condition for completeness.