1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supremum and infimum of a set

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    let [tex] B = \{x\in\mathbb{R} : sinx \geq 0 \} [/tex]

find the supremum and infimum of this set.

Ok well, since it is periodic I guess the point would be to note that the set will repeat ever [tex]2\pi[/tex]

So then if we consider just between 0 and [tex]2\pi[/tex]

supremum = [tex]\pi[/tex]
    infimum = 0

if we consider all [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]

here is where I'm confused. The supremum would just be the [tex]N\pi[/tex] when N is an odd integer. Should I just state the function is periodic it will repeat between 0 and [tex]2\pi[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Proceed methodically from the definition. M is a supremum of B if it is the smallest superior bound. But is B even bounded superiorly?

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3

Ok so I think I see what your saying. The set will not be bounded above or below except by plus or minus infinity b/c the function is periodic. I can always find a larger number in the reals that satifies sin(x) greater than or equal to 0. Therefore the set would have a supremum or positive infinity and a infimum of negative infinity.

Oh, I made typo in the original problem [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}_e[/tex]

5. Aug 30, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the idea, yeah. You'd have to write a few equations though for it to be considered a proof. You'd have to show rigorously that given any number in B, there is always another number in B that is superior(resp. inferior) to it.

(What is [itex]\mathbb{R}_e[/itex]??)

6. Aug 30, 2006 #5
    Our professor stated that [tex]\mathbb{R}_e[/tex] is the extended reals which contains plus and minus infinity. This course is an analysis for electrical engineers we get a crash course in a little bit of set theory then a bunch about complex functions with linear algebra of complex functions. We don't have a textbook for this course and the professors only written some of the course notes so I'm kind of flying blind on what is going on here. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?