What is the supremum and infimum of the set B = {x\in\mathbb{R} : sinx \geq 0}?

In summary, our professor stated that the set \mathbb{R}_e is the extended reals which contains plus and minus infinity. This course is an analysis for electrical engineers, and we do not have a textbook for it.
Valhalla
let [tex] B = \{x\in\mathbb{R} : sinx \geq 0 \} [/tex]

find the supremum and infimum of this set.

Ok well, since it is periodic I guess the point would be to note that the set will repeat ever [tex]2\pi[/tex]

So then if we consider just between 0 and [tex]2\pi[/tex]

supremum = [tex]\pi[/tex]
infimum = 0

if we consider all [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]

here is where I'm confused. The supremum would just be the [tex]N\pi[/tex] when N is an odd integer. Should I just state the function is periodic it will repeat between 0 and [tex]2\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Proceed methodically from the definition. M is a supremum of B if it is the smallest superior bound. But is B even bounded superiorly?

quasar987 said:
Proceed methodically from the definition. M is a supremum of B if it is the smallest superior bound. But is B even bounded superiorly?

Ok so I think I see what your saying. The set will not be bounded above or below except by plus or minus infinity b/c the function is periodic. I can always find a larger number in the reals that satifies sin(x) greater than or equal to 0. Therefore the set would have a supremum or positive infinity and a infimum of negative infinity.

Oh, I made typo in the original problem [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}_e[/tex]

That is the idea, yeah. You'd have to write a few equations though for it to be considered a proof. You'd have to show rigorously that given any number in B, there is always another number in B that is superior(resp. inferior) to it.(What is [itex]\mathbb{R}_e[/itex]??)

Our professor stated that [tex]\mathbb{R}_e[/tex] is the extended reals which contains plus and minus infinity. This course is an analysis for electrical engineers we get a crash course in a little bit of set theory then a bunch about complex functions with linear algebra of complex functions. We don't have a textbook for this course and the professors only written some of the course notes so I'm kind of flying blind on what is going on here. Thanks for the help!

What is the definition of supremum and infimum of a set?

The supremum of a set S is the smallest upper bound of S, while the infimum of a set S is the largest lower bound of S. In other words, the supremum is the least element that is greater than or equal to all elements in the set, and the infimum is the greatest element that is less than or equal to all elements in the set.

How is supremum and infimum related to maximum and minimum?

If a set has a maximum, then the supremum is equal to the maximum. Similarly, if a set has a minimum, then the infimum is equal to the minimum. However, not all sets have a maximum or minimum, but they will always have a supremum and infimum.

Can the supremum and infimum of a set be the same value?

Yes, it is possible for the supremum and infimum of a set to be the same value. This occurs when the set only has one element, and that element is both the maximum and minimum of the set.

How is the supremum and infimum of a set calculated?

To calculate the supremum, we need to find the smallest upper bound of the set. This can be done by arranging the elements in the set in ascending order and selecting the last element. Similarly, to calculate the infimum, we need to find the largest lower bound of the set. This can be done by arranging the elements in the set in descending order and selecting the last element.

What is the importance of supremum and infimum in mathematical analysis?

The concepts of supremum and infimum are essential in mathematical analysis because they help us define limits, continuity, and convergence. They also play a crucial role in the definition of real numbers and the development of calculus.