1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supremum / Infimum

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1

danago

Gold Member

Suppose that [tex]A,B \subseteq \Re^+[/tex] are non empty and bounded sets. Define + and . as the following set opetations:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    A + B = \{ a + b|a \in A,b \in B\} \\
    A.B = \{ ab|a \in A,b \in B\} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Prove that [tex]\sup (A + B) \le \sup A + \sup B[/tex]

I started by letting [tex]a \in A,b \in B[/tex]. From the definition of supremum:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    a \le \sup A \\
    b \le \sup B \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

I then added the two inequalities to give:

[tex]
    a + b \le \sup A + \sup B
    [/tex]

Since this holds true for any a and b, sup A+sup B is an upper bound on the set A+B. This is where im a bit stuck. I cant really see why sup(A+B) isnt strictly equal to sup A + sup B. I tried coming up with a few example sets A and B but that didnt really help anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dan,

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2
    You've already established that sup A + sub B is an upper bound for the A + B. All that remains is to show that it's the least upper bound.

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3

danago

Gold Member

I guess thats what im having trouble with. I tried assuming that there exists some other upper bound 'r' which is less than sup A + sup B, and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. No luck though :(

5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

He isn't required to show that it is the least upper bound, only that it is an upper bound.

6. Aug 11, 2008 #5
    Yes, but he already showed this in the first post, my understanding was that he was curious to see why it's the least upper bound.

danago, if k is the supremum of A + B, then for any epsilon > 0, there's an element x in A + B satisfying |k - x| < epsilon. All you have to show is that sup A + sup B has this property.

7. Aug 11, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

If you want to prove that anyway, just note that [tex] \sup A - \frac{\epsilon}{2} < a \ \mbox{for} \ \exists a \ \mbox{and} \ \forall \epsilon > 0 [/tex]. The same applies for b. See how to continue from here?

8. Aug 11, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But his question was, "Why is it not the least upper bound?"

danago, the fact that you are asked to prove that [itex]sup A+B\le \sup A+ \sup B[/itex] does not necessarily imply they are not equal. Only that you are not asked to prove that.

9. Aug 11, 2008 #8

danago

Gold Member

Ok fair enough. So what ive done is sufficient to answer the question then?

10. Aug 11, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

11. Aug 11, 2008 #10

danago

Gold Member

Alright thanks everyone :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?