Can the Sum of Supremums be Greater than the Supremum of the Sum?

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, we have been asked to prove that for non-empty and bounded sets A and B, the supremum of A + B is less than or equal to the sum of the supremums of A and B. We started by setting a and b as elements of A and B respectively, and using the definition of supremum to show that a + b is less than or equal to the sum of the supremums. This proves that sup A + sup B is an upper bound for A + B. To show that it is the least upper bound, we can use the fact that for any epsilon greater than 0, there is an element in A + B that satisfies the property of being within epsilon distance from sup A + sup B
danago
Gold Member
Suppose that [tex]A,B \subseteq \Re^+[/tex] are non empty and bounded sets. Define + and . as the following set opetations:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
A + B = \{ a + b|a \in A,b \in B\} \\
A.B = \{ ab|a \in A,b \in B\} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Prove that [tex]\sup (A + B) \le \sup A + \sup B[/tex]

I started by letting [tex]a \in A,b \in B[/tex]. From the definition of supremum:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
a \le \sup A \\
b \le \sup B \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

I then added the two inequalities to give:

[tex]
a + b \le \sup A + \sup B
[/tex]

Since this holds true for any a and b, sup A+sup B is an upper bound on the set A+B. This is where I am a bit stuck. I can't really see why sup(A+B) isn't strictly equal to sup A + sup B. I tried coming up with a few example sets A and B but that didnt really help anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan,

Physics news on Phys.org
You've already established that sup A + sub B is an upper bound for the A + B. All that remains is to show that it's the least upper bound.

Werg22 said:
You've already established that sup A + sub B is an upper bound for the A + B. All that remains is to show that it's the least upper bound.

I guess that's what I am having trouble with. I tried assuming that there exists some other upper bound 'r' which is less than sup A + sup B, and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. No luck though :(

He isn't required to show that it is the least upper bound, only that it is an upper bound.

Defennder said:
He isn't required to show that it is the least upper bound, only that it is an upper bound.

Yes, but he already showed this in the first post, my understanding was that he was curious to see why it's the least upper bound.

danago, if k is the supremum of A + B, then for any epsilon > 0, there's an element x in A + B satisfying |k - x| < epsilon. All you have to show is that sup A + sup B has this property.

If you want to prove that anyway, just note that [tex] \sup A - \frac{\epsilon}{2} < a \ \mbox{for} \ \exists a \ \mbox{and} \ \forall \epsilon > 0 [/tex]. The same applies for b. See how to continue from here?

But his question was, "Why is it not the least upper bound?"

danago, the fact that you are asked to prove that [itex]sup A+B\le \sup A+ \sup B[/itex] does not necessarily imply they are not equal. Only that you are not asked to prove that.

HallsofIvy said:
But his question was, "Why is it not the least upper bound?"

danago, the fact that you are asked to prove that [itex]sup A+B\le \sup A+ \sup B[/itex] does not necessarily imply they are not equal. Only that you are not asked to prove that.

Ok fair enough. So what I've done is sufficient to answer the question then?

Yes.

Alright thanks everyone :smile:

1. What is the meaning of "Sup" in the equation "Sup(A+B) ≤ Sup A+Sup B"?

"Sup" stands for supremum, which is the least upper bound of a set of numbers. It is the highest possible value that can be obtained from that set.

2. What does the inequality "≤" mean in the equation "Sup(A+B) ≤ Sup A+Sup B"?

The inequality "≤" means "less than or equal to". It indicates that the value on the left side of the inequality is either equal to or less than the value on the right side.

3. How do you prove the equation "Sup(A+B) ≤ Sup A+Sup B"?

This equation can be proven using the properties of supremum. One property states that the supremum of the sum of two sets is less than or equal to the sum of the supremum of each individual set. Therefore, "Sup(A+B)" must be less than or equal to "Sup A+Sup B".

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate the equation "Sup(A+B) ≤ Sup A+Sup B"?

Yes, for example, let A={1, 2, 3} and B={4, 5, 6}. The supremum of A is 3 and the supremum of B is 6. The sum of A and B is {5, 6, 7, 8, 9}. The supremum of the sum is 9. This is equal to the sum of the supremum of A (3) and the supremum of B (6), which is also 9. Therefore, the equation "Sup(A+B) ≤ Sup A+Sup B" holds true in this example.

5. Is the equation "Sup(A+B) ≤ Sup A+Sup B" always true?

Yes, this equation is always true because of the properties of supremum. As stated earlier, the supremum of the sum of two sets is always less than or equal to the sum of the supremum of each individual set. Therefore, this equation will always hold true for any sets A and B.